Otosim Creates Mobile Device for Simulated Otoscopy Training ‘On The Go’ – IMSH 2018 Video Interview
During IMSH 2018, HealthySim interviewed the team from Otosim to learn more about their new mobile product, which enables healthcare educators to simulate Otoscopy training easily with their own phone! OtoSim Mobile transforms your smartphone into a hand-held otoscopy simulator delivering a complete cloud-based otologic curriculum. The new device is a complete otoscopy skills trainer, “on-the-go” which was developed by clinical otology educators with over 50 years of combined medical educational experience. We were impressed with how easy the device is to use seeing as almost every learner will have a smart phone!
The OtoSim Mobile package includes a clip-on phone attachment, a Silicone Earform (right ear only), a functional otoscope for training purposes, a customized suction stand, a customized clamp stand, a leather travel bag, 1-year hardware warranty, and a 3-year software subscription. The system does require a smartphone with internet access to function which is not included in the package.
Otosim Mobile Hardware
- Compatibility: any smartphone
- Safe: Soft Silicone earform easily clips onto your phone
- Secure: Safety ring holder for secure grip
- Versatile use: Hand-held, table top, or stand-mounted
- Comes with a functional otoscope for training purposes
Otosim Mobile Software
- Compatibility: iOS, Android, and the latest smartphone technologies
- Content: Growing library of 400 otologic images with annotations and descriptors
- Quizzes and Exams: Randomized quizzes and exams for self assessing anatomical and diagnostic skills
- Self-directed or in-class learning through OtoSim Educators Portal
Key Otosim Mobile Features
- Easy-to-navigate user interface
- Enhanced interactivity with voice-over guidance
- Target touch pad for identifying anatomical features
- Virtual Pneumatic Otoscopy
- Multi language capabilities (English, Mandarin, Japanese)
- Search function
- Automatic advance mode
- Bookmarking capability
- A continuously updating database
- Activity tracking — Start from where you left off
- Continuous synchronization across multiple devices
OtoSim Inc. is a Toronto-based medical simulation company focused on otoscopy and ophthalmoscopy training with a goal is to enhance patient outcomes through better training of primary healthcare providers, with effective and innovative simulation tools. Their products include the OtoSim (otoscopy) and OphthoSim (ophthalmoscopy), which were developed in conjunction with key educators and clinicians from the University of Toronto and The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids).
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.