OtoSim Provides Otoscopy and Ophthalmoscopy Simulation Training Systems
Recently I had a chance to meet with the folks from OtoSim to learn more about their Otoscopy and Ophthalmoscopy Simulation Training Systems. I was really impressed by the level of realism and depth of learning that could take place with these devices. Watch the video below to learn more!
From the OtoSim website:
“OtoSim™ was developed by a renowned multi-disciplinary team of clinicians, educators, and engineers. Drs. Forte and Campisi recognized the deficiencies that exist in current-day otoscopic training, pioneered the OtoSim™ device to resolve the problem and proved its value through a scientific study. Enlisting commercialization support from MaRS Innovation and The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids), the multi-disciplinary team engineered the device and developed the software to create OtoSim™”. The product was invented by Dr. Vito Forte – MD, FRCSC and Dr. Paolo Campisi – MSc, MD, FRCSC, FAAP.
OtoSimTM has been shown to improve the diagnostic accuracy of 3rd year medical students by 44%! OtoSimTM is an integrated system that interactively improves the accuracy of diagnosing pathologies of the ear through experiential learning in a realistic geometry.
About the OtoSim Otoscopy Trainer:
- Realistic Ear Geometry:
- Earform: realistic feel, shape, and composition with various ear canal complexities.
- Tympanic Membrane: Unique optics enables OtoSimTM to project a 1cm wide image of the tympanic membrane—a realistic clinical scenario.
- Combined with the use of an otoscope, the small image and narrow field of view caused by the speculum creates a realistic simulation
- Proprietary database of over 200 high-resolution images of various ear pathologies.
- Detailed educational descriptions
- Landmarking function to highlight specific features to be viewed by the student through an otoscope, and encourages student-instructor interactions
- Intuitive, easy-to-use graphic interface
- Multiplexing Function:
- Connect up to 6 OtoSim units at the same time to deliver a consistent message and efficiently use instructor time.
About the OphthoSim™ Opthalmoscope Trainer:
- The custom OphthoSim ophthalmoscope contains position-detecting hardware that enables the OphthoSim™ software to track the ophthalmoscope’s movement and orientation.
- Tracked movements control the display of the appropriate retinal region through the OphthoSim™ Eye.
Realistic Eye Geometry
- The OphthoSim™ Eye replicates the human eye’s magnification to provide realistic simulation.
- The OphthoSim™ Eye’s iris can dilate and constrict to alter the field of view during an examination.
- The OphthoSim™ can simulate saccades to replicate realistic examination scenarios by forcing students to re-orient.
- Training modules to practice ophthalmoscopy
- Testing routines to rate diagnostic accuracy and efficiency
- Retina images include:
- Normal Retinas
- Diabetic Retinopathy
- Hypertensive Retinopathy
- Detailed descriptions of each clinical scenario.
For more information visit http://otosim.com/ , be sure to tell them HealthySim sent you!
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.