Healthcare Simulation Fellowships
There are many ways for healthcare simulation learners to gain knowledge and experience across the medical field, including the acceptance to a fellowship. Known for their commitment to professional development, these programs help individual learners often through intensive training. Such training can include fieldwork, research, independent study, organizational work, graduate study, and more. Ultimately, the primary advantage of a fellowship is the ability to encounter unique experiences that are not typically available to someone in school or who are just starting out in an entry-level position.
Typically short-term opportunities, fellowships can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months, and in some cases upwards of a year. They are normally sponsored by an organization, institution, association, or government agency, and eligibility requirements are thereby set by the respective sponsor. A possible applicant qualification could include a record of achievement in healthcare education, as provided by letters of reference, publications, teaching evaluations, or prior specialized training or experience in medical education.
Also depending on the fellowship sponsor, there may exist the opportunity to acquire nationally competitive grants, scholarships, and other funding opportunities. Today, many fellowship sponsors also present two means of enrollment: either in-person or online. The duration of a fellowship may be impacted by whether the program is online or in-person.
Regardless of the length of the fellowship and the sponsor, there are many possible benefits of enrolling in such a program. For example, learners who enter a fellowship are faced with opportunities that extend beyond the scope of standard academic learning. They can be immersed in new cultural experiences, access to academic seminars, vastly expand their professional network, face experiential learning scenarios, and reach new professional development milestones. Note, that experiential learning varies depending on the fellowship program.
In terms of healthcare simulation-specific fellowships, topics explored may include the development of a solid foundation in simulation-based interventions for education, clinician resilience, and patient safety. Participants may be tasked with analyzing and participating in scenarios focused on interprofessional communication and collaboration as well. Further, there is often the opportunity to receive real-time feedback to improve and refine the fellow’s debriefing skills and to connect with simulation leaders, educators, and quality champions in our worldwide community of practice.
What are the best ways to go about either finding or applying to a clinical simulation fellowship? There are several different avenues that can be taken to do so. Learners enrolled in college or other post-secondary education programs may have access to a fellowship research advisor who can help them navigate fellowship and funding options.
While there may be an application cost to apply for a fellowship, fellows may be entitled to some amount of pay while they progress through the experience. According to the University of California Berkeley, “Most fellowship programs provide a living allowance or stipend, yet it is not typically comparable to the salary of a full-time job. Financial compensation can vary greatly with stipends ranging from $10,000 to up to $25,000 for a 9-12 month program. Other incentives may be provided to fellows such as healthcare coverage, student loan repayment assistance, and housing stipends.”
Many institutions and organizations also have a tab on their website dedicated to fellowship opportunities. Additionally, finding learners and professionals who are currently or were previously fellows can help provide guidance on the application and acceptance process. Below is a list of current healthcare simulation fellowships available throughout the world. Those interested in applying to one or more of the listed fellowships should navigate to the fellowship’s webpage using the embedded links:
- Winter Institute for Simulation, Education & Research- WISER (Pittsburgh, PA)
- The Center for Safety, Simulation and Advanced Learning Technologies Fellowships (Florida)
- Kaweah Delta Clinical Teaching & Simulation Fellowship (Visalia, California)
- Tampa VA Advanced Fellowship in Clinical Simulation (Tampa)
- Patient Safety Movement Foundation Healthcare Safety Fellowship (Remote)
- Akron City Hospital/Summa Health Medical Simulation Fellowship (Akron)
- Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center Medical Simulation Fellowship (Avondale)
- University of Alabama at Birmingham UAB Simulation Fellowship (Birmingham)
- Brigham & Women’s Hospital Fellowship in Medical Simulation (Boston)
- Center for Medical Simulation (CMS) Center for Medical Simulation (CMS) Simulation Fellowship (Boston)
- Massachusetts General Hospital Medical Simulation Fellowship (Boston)
- STRATUS Center for Medical Simulation International Fellowship in Medical Simulation (Boston)
- STRATUS Center for Medical Simulation at Brigham and Women’s Hospital Academic Fellowship in Simulation Education (Boston)
- Maimonides Medical Center Clinical Simulation Fellowship (Brooklyn)
- University of Virginia Medical Simulation Education Fellowship (Charlottesville)
- Palmetto Health Simulation Medicine and Faculty Development Fellowship (Columbia)
- OhioHealth Learning OhioHealth Simulation Fellowship (Columbus)
- East Carolina University Brody School of Medicine Emergency Medicine Simulation Fellowship (Greenville)
- Hartford Hospital Simulation Education Fellowship (Hartford)
- Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center Simulation Education and Research Fellowship (Hershey)
- Simtiki Simulation Center, John A Burns School of Medicine SimTiki International Scholar Simulation Fellowship (Honolulu)
- University of California Irvine, School of Medicine Medical Simulation Education Fellowship (Including International) (Irvine)
- Western Michigan University Stryker School of Medicine Medical Simulation Fellowship (Kalamazoo)
- Northwell Health Northwell Health Emergency Medicine Service Line Fellowship in Health Professions Simulation-based Education (Manhasset)
- Hennepin County Medical Center Interdisciplinary Simulation & Education Center (ISEC) Simulation / Medical Education Fellowship (Minneapolis)
- Vanderbilt University Vanderbilt Emergency Medicine Simulation Fellowship (Nashville)
- Cleveland Clinic Sim Center Medical Simulation Fellowship (Cleveland)
- Yale Center for Medical Simulation Yale Center for Medical Simulation Fellowship (New Haven)
- Mount Sinai Hospital Medical Education and Simulation Fellowship (New York)
- University of California Irvine – Department of Emergency Medicine Emergency Medicine Simulation Fellowship (Orange)
- University of Ottawa DIME/uOSSC Fellowship in Medical Education Research/Fellowship in Medical Education Research and Simulation (Ottawa)
- Jump Simulation Healthcare Simulation Fellowship (Peoria)
- Drexel University Drexel University Simulation Fellowship (Philadelphia)
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, Uni. of Penn Perelman School of Medicine International Simulation Fellowship Program (Philadelphia)
- Mayo Clinic Arizona Mayo Clinic Military Simulation Fellowship (Phoenix)
- VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System Advanced Interprofessional Fellowship in Clinical Simulation (Pittsburgh)
- Brown University Medical Simulation Fellowship at Lifespan Medical Simulation Center (Scroll & click on “Simulation” (Providence)
- Mayo Clinic Multidisciplinary Simulation Center Mayo Clinic Multidisciplinary Simulation Center Simulation Fellowship (Rochester)
- University of Arizona University of Arizona Medical Simulation Fellowship (Tucson)
Overall, a healthcare simulation fellowship can help prepare a learner to be an expert in the field of medical simulation. The goal is to help develop the clinical simulation leaders of tomorrow who are capable of advancing the field of medical simulation to new heights. If you know someone involved in healthcare simulation education or learning, we encourage you to share this page with them so that they may consider a medical simulation fellowship as a means to enhance their pursuits! Learn more about healthcare simulation fellowships by reading the articles below.
Know of Another Medical Simulation Fellowship?
Write us and let us know!
Medical Simulation Best Practices From 8 Years of American College of Surgeons Accredited Education Institutes