Video of U.S. Government Subcommittee Hearing on Primary Health and Aging
Earlier this month a team of leading patient safety experts met at a Hearing with the U.S. Senate Committee on Health Education Labor & Pensions Subcommittee on Primary Health and Aging , where the topic focused on preventable medical errors: the need to improve patient safety. The recent article in the Journal of Patient Safety concluded that up to an estimated 440,000 patients die a year due to medical error. This two-hour recording is a must watch for those interested in furthering the use of medical simulation to improve patient care and reducing medical errors.
About the Subcommittee
Welcome to the Primary Health and Aging home page. The Subcommittee Chairman is Senator Bernard Sanders (I-VT) and the Ranking Member is Senator Richard Burr (R-NC). The Subcommittee has oversight over many issues including: The Older Americans Act; elder abuse, neglect, and scams affecting seniors; long-term care services for older Americans, community health centers, The Health Resources and Services Act, oral health, health care disparities, Alzheimer’s disease and family caregiving . Please visit our homepage for the latest information on Subcommittee hearings, roundtables, and links to information and resources that relate to our Subcommittee’s issues.
- John James, PhD , Founder, Patient Safety America, Houston, TX
- Ashish Jha, MD, MPH , Professor of Health Policy and Management, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA
- Tejal Gandhi, MD, MPH , President, National Patient Safety Foundation; Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- Peter Pronovost, MD, PhD , Senior Vice President for Patient Safety and Quality and Director of the Armstrong Institute for Patient Safety and Quality, Johns Hopkins Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Joanne Disch, PhD, RN , Professor ad Honorem, University of Minnesota School of Nursing, Minneapolis, MN
- Lisa McGiffert , Director, Safe Patient Project, Consumers Union, Austin, TX
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.