How To Start a Career as a Medical Simulation Technician
Want to get a job as a Sim Tech to operate Healthcare Simulation Technology? Do you have a background in IT, technology, AV, healthcare, theater or education and want to change careers? Are you interested in using your technical experiences to help train healthcare professionals?
- Video Introduction to a Medical Simulation Lab: What is a Healthcare Simulation Lab? Watch this LA Harbor College Nursing Simulation Lab Promotional video I produced many years ago to get a better understanding about medical simulation.
- HealthySimulation.com – This website provides free resources to those interested in medical simulation. There is also a free healthcare simulation email newsletter which provides all the best of HealthySim once a month! Key articles:
- The Gathering of Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialists (SimGHOSTS.Org) – An annual vendor-sponsored hands-on training event specifically dedicated to Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialists (Sim Techs). Paid subscription also provides recorded presentations from previous meetings, file databases, webinars and international discussion groups. Key Documents:
- 2012 Free keynote address covering Aviation Simulation Technicians
- 2013 Free keynote address covering Healthcare Provider / Technician Communication
- 2012 Event Attendee Survey Data (Covering Salaries, Backgrounds, etc.)
- 2013 Event Attendee Survey Data Part I (Covering Salaries, Backgrounds, etc.)
- 2013 Event Attendee Survey Data Part II (Covering Salaries, Backgrounds, etc.)
- Vendor Meetings:
- Ongoing Regional Laerdal SUN Meetings – Very affordable meeting which will introduce you to the many aspects of medical simulation.
- Ongoing Regional & National CAE Healthcare HPSN Meetings – Free event which will also introduce you to the many aspects of healthcare simulation.
- Medical Simulation Job Listings Page (Care of HealthySimulation.com)
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.