TOM Man – Tactical Operations Medical Manikin Review
Techline Technologies and Innovative Tactical Technology Solutions have combined forces to bring you TOM Man, the Tactical Operations Medical Manikin. Just recently I had the opportunity to review the TOM Man in the 106 degree Las Vegas desert heat with David Parry Jr. from Techline Technologies. If you are running medical simulation for a military or trauma-based EMS/Fire Department program you need to immediately watch this TOM Man video review and learn more about one of the most rugged and affordable manikins I have ever seen:
The Tactical Operations Medical Manikin was designed by TSgt. Keary Miller, an Air Force PJ (Pararescue man) who won the Silver Star for his bravery at the Battle of Takur Ghar in Afghanistan. Although the 2002 Takur Ghar engagement has been labeled “the deadliest day of combat for an American unit since 18 Rangers and Special Operations soldiers died in Mogadishu, Somalia, in 1993”, Miller was able to save the lives of 10 gravely wounded men. TOM Man, therefore, was designed and built by someone with the direct experience necessary to help train others in the life saving techniques required in chaotic austere environments.
Miller approached Techline Technology, world-famous for their trauma-based moulage wounds with a prototype that was so impressive that the company immediately started developing the TOM Man. Click the link below to read more…
TOM Man includes these features:
- Durability – Can withstand drops, falls, and drags due to Sturdy Metal Frame (which weighs a realistic 130-150lbs).
- Efficiency – Quick replacement of moulage (casted) extremities for flexibility
- Realism –
- Remote (FOB) control allows instructor to add surprise element (talking, breathing and bleeding)
- Breath sounds (includes sucking chest wound) and respiratory distress
- Breath improves in Recovery position and can be felt on exhale
- Numerous Trauma-based wound application (utilizing Techline Technologies trauma wound catalog)
- Massive Bleeding
- Small Bleeding
- Evisceration with packing
- Needle Decompression Insertion
- Realistic Tourniquet Application
- Wound Packing
- Surgical Airway
- NPA Airway insertion
- Hyper-Realistic Skin that can be punctured hundreds of times.
- Affordability – Designed for low budget units who need to train for specific trauma-based scenarios.
- Customization – Get the trauma wounds you need specifically installed on your manikins.
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Dr. Abigail Baily in Las Vegas, Nevada with their newborn daughter and two crazy dachshunds.