PickUpSim Ovum Collection Simulator From EU-Based Company Accurate – SESAM 2016 Exhibitor Video Part 2
At SESAM 2016 HealthySimulation.com interviewed Massimo Giannessi, Chief Operating Officer at Accurate, a European-based provider of healthcare simulation products, including the PickUpSim. The interviewed covered the PickUpSim, an innovative, high fidelity system for the simulation of the human ovum collection procedure in the context of assisted human reproduction.
Accurate encompasses advanced skills in software engineering applied to educational model and biomedical engineering, as well as a deep international experience of research and development of truly effective, hi-tech, educational models. The analysis of educational needs, around which R&D focuses its main activities, is taken care of by a well-recognized, international scientific board. The continuous presence at the primary international congresses in the panorama of medical education through publications and lectures, proves the strong collaboration with the medical/scientific community and the significant amount of resources devoted to technological research.
PickUpSim is an innovative, high fidelity system for the simulation of the human ovum collection procedure in the context of assisted human reproduction. The simulator includes an haptic feedback system and a virtual echographic monitor. The main technical features of PickUpSim include:
- Haptic feedback
- Simulation of the deformation imposed by the needle on the soft tissues
- Simulation of follicle emptying and re-filling
- Scenarios based on real clinical images
Simulation of PickUpSim enables hands-on procedural training and permits, thanks to the haptic feedback, simulation of the resistance to penetration of the soft tissues traversed by the Ovum Aspiration Needle, in particular the ovarian surface and the ovarian follicle.
- Monitoring of the procedure by a simulated Transvaginal Echographic monitor
- Real time simulation of emptying and re-filling of the follicles
Permitted Movements and Echographic Monitoring
- Needle movements are allowed both in the forward and in the backward direction.
- It is possible to move the ultrasound probe in the sagittal plane and to observe a coherent and real-time modification of the scene (allowing the user to investigate the volume of the follicles and to choose the proper entry plane for the needle).
- It is possible to rotate the ultrasound probe and to get a transverse view (in order to allow the user to investigate blood vessels and to differentiate vessels from follicles)
- Simulated aspiration of follicles driven by a pedal pump.
Exercises and Simulations: The user can practice and develop competency using simulation scenarios based on real clinical images.
The scenarios available take into account:
- the proper movements to reach the target follicles;
- the proper suction and washing timing;
- the avoidance of critical anatomical structures.
A user’s performance can be evaluated on all the above aspects.
Control: The intuitive control software runs on a comfortable notebook with a wide-view (15.6″) LED backlight display, Core-i3 processor and 4 GB RAM.
External LCD Display: The external 18.5″ LED backlight display lets you isolate the echographic view bringing more realism to your simulation scenario.
PickUpSim is a product from Accurate, a company blending international experience, scientific research, engineering and development of truly effective hi-tech educational solutions in the medical field.
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and current Chairman of the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.