IMSH 2024 Day 1: Healthcare Simulation Conference Coverage
The International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH) is the world’s largest conference dedicated to healthcare simulation learning, research, and scholarship, offering 250+ sessions in various formats, from large plenary sessions to small, interactive immersive courses. This healthcare simulation conference is considered to be an educational and networking event for the clinical simulation world. For this reason, many medical simulation vendors choose to have major company announcements coincide with the event. The event will take place this year from January 20 to January 24, 2024, in San Diego, California. This HealthySimulation.com article shares updates and highlights from the clinical simulation conference #IMSH2024 on Sunday, January 20, 2024. Follow HealthySimlulation.com on X (Twitter) and LinkedIn for the latest hourly updates or stop by Booth #346 to meet the team!
Now in the conference’s 24th year, the in-person event, along with a virtual IMSH Delivers, will offer hundreds of industry-leading presentations, cementing the event’s place as the world’s premier healthcare simulation education learning event. In recognition of the many milestones the healthcare simulation industry has achieved, the IMSH2024 Planning Team chose the content theme – IDEA: Innovate. Disseminate. Educate. Advocate. This was the organization’s most attended event ever with over 4,300 registrations and 140 exhibitors!
Each plenary speaker was chosen to represent one aspect of IDEA. Even though these will not occur in the IDEA order, each plenary session will challenge the attendees to consider how to incorporate each aspect of IDEA in their simulation practice. The plenary speakers will touch on multiple aspects of the theme: IDEA.
HealthySimulation.com Coverage Leading Up to the Event
- HealthySimulation.com Becomes Exclusive Host of Leighton et al’s Evaluating Healthcare Simulation Tools
- 3 Reasons to Stop by Laerdal Booth at IMSH 2024
- Education Management Solution’s Training in Motion Helps You Affordably Increase Sim Utilization
- Bridging the EMS System Trauma Simulation Gap with Culture Over Technology
- CAE Healthcare Harnesses 80/20 Principle for Efficient Simulated Clinical Experiences
- UPMC’s WISER Sim Program Develops Healthcare Simulation Professionals
Pre-Conference Immersive Courses
IMSH 2024 began with immersion pre-conference courses and workshops on Saturday, January 20, 2024. A wide variety of workshops were provided to meet the needs of the participants. The topics were:
- Accreditation Readiness
- Disclose Adverse Events and Root Cause Analysis: Simulation to Satisfy New ACGME
- HELP! I Need Somebody! Meaningful Metrics for Growing Your Program
- SSH Presents: Three Master’s Classes with the SSH Fellows: Administrator, Educators, and Operations Specialists
- Mass Casualty: A Fully Immersive, Large-scale Simulation Training Event for Operations Specialist Track and Educator Track
- 3D Printing in Healthcare Simulation: From Introduction to Printing
- Expanding Horizons in Rehabilitative Science Education: Immersive Experience Using Simulation Operations and Innovative Technology
- Going Ballistic: Create Your Own Vascular Access Ultrasound Phantom Using Ballistic Gel and 3D-Printed Molds
- Mastering Scenario Design, and Reflection on Reflection: Developing Your Feedback, Debriefing, and Mentoring Abilities
Future of Technology
As an initiative to explore the future of technology in healthcare simulation, the technology committee had an initial meeting to develop working groups and a white paper on the Future of Technology. Based on survey results in regards to technology, the working groups are XR Technology, AI, Haptics, Biometrics, 3D Printing and Physical Sim, and Other Emerging Technologies. The question is WHY:
- Strengthen SSH as a thought leader
- Provide the organization with a vision that can guide advocacy
- Provide educators with a guidebook for getting up to speed on the future
- Provide industry innovators with a roadmap
- Increase probability that future tech will meet educators needs
President’s Diamond Ball
IMSH 2024 started off right with a President’s Diamond Ball celebration biggest, BEST parties of IMSH 2024; a sold-out event! A Saturday night of entertainment, accolades, camaraderie, and FUN! In addition, many simulations were recognized for their accomplishments and contributions.
- Class of 2024 Fellows in SSH Academy – 17 inductees
- New CHSE-A: 15
- New CHSOS-A: 5
- New CHSE and CHSOS: Total of 623 healthcare simulationists new certification
- Total Certifications: 4,500+ from 47 countries
- Newly Accredited Simulation Programs: 30 programs, 1 mid-cycle, and 11 programs with Provisional Accreditation
- Total Accredited Programs: 255 healthcare simulation programs from 24 countries
Other accolades and recognition included:
- Director of the Year: Carol Durham
- Educator of the Year: Kristen Brown
- Operations Specialist of the Year: Leora Wright
- Research of the Year: Michelle Aebersold
- Gail Johnson Award: Dawn Swiderski
- Gavel Award: Haru Okuda, SSH President 2022
- Numerous other awards were given to include: Board of Directors Service Awards,
- Commission, Council, and Service Awards, and Planning Chairs and Co-Chairs.
New Events for #IMSH2024
IMSH 2024 will include an inaugural EXTRA SSH Main Stage Sessions! The IMSH Plenary Main Stage has never been so loaded! In addition to each day’s top-flight plenary, on Monday AND Tuesday, check out the afternoon SSH Fellows Main Stage Presentation from 4-5 p.m.!
During lunchtime on Monday, January 22, and Tuesday, January 23, 2024, the Mindfulness Affinity Group will be holding a limited enrollment for guided meditation session in one room and Art session in another room during lunch.
DEI Group will have tables in the lunch area of the exhibit hall for DEI conversations.
Daily Conference Updates
Refresh this page for more IMSH 2024 conference coverage. This HealthySimulation.com article will be updated periodically as the event unfolds.
Leading off the day’s events, program leaders thanked all those involved in helping to coordinate IMSH 2024. This included recognizing content reviewers, SSH staff, and others. Next, the Presidential Sponsor, Education Management Solutions, CEO Matt Merino took the stage to explain how the need for innovative solutions is more important now than ever before. He shared how EMS is dedicated to creating solutions to meet the challenges that lie ahead.
Jayne Smitten Presidential Address Update Coming Soon
Incoming Society for Simulation in Healthcare President Jayne Smitten shared in her open remarks that every single person here at IMSH 2024 has the potential to think not only as healthcare simulation champions, but also as futurists who will continue to research, explore and understand our digital revolution and how it is impacting our society – so be bold!
Plenary Speaker – Michael Bonner
Michael Bonner will be focusing on the concept of EDUCATE! Michael is an innovative educator and a business owner. He understands how to collaborate, innovate, and education. His presentation was full of energy to engage and inspire participants to leave and act on their IDEA. Refresh for more updates!
Other Key IMSH 2024 Updates (Refresh for Live Updates):
TACMED Booth 725 at IMSH: Merging VR + Manikin Based Training: Come experience AI-powered VR intubation Simulation. Merge “Heart, Mind, and Hand” – blend cognition, decision-making, and skills-based haptics with AI assistant-driven live experience.Immerse yourself in the future of medical training! TacMed joins forces with Lucid Reality Labs to bring you an extraordinary blend of AI-powered VR Intubation! Visit us at TacMed Solutions IMSH booth 725 to experience the perfect union of cognition, decision-making, and haptics in a live simulation. Merge ‘Heart, Mind, and Hand’ for an unparalleled training experience!
Check out these live events at the Education Management Booth #400 at IMSH 2024:
- Using Sim to Train Families in Pediatric Ventilation Care
- Sunday, January 22nd at Booth #400 — 5:00 PM
- Monday, January 23rd at Booth #400 — 1:30 PM
- Harnessing the Power of Competency-Based Assessment and Simulation:
- Monday, January 23rd at Room 10 — 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM
Laerdal and SIMCharacters Announce Exclusive Worldwide Distribution Partnership for SIMCharacters Innovative Neonatal Simulation Solutions : Laerdal Medical, a global leader in healthcare simulation solutions, is excited to unveil its exclusive worldwide distribution partnership with SIMCharacters, a pioneering Austrian company specializing in cutting-edge neonatal simulation technology. This strategic partnership marks a significant milestone in advancing healthcare simulation and underscores a shared commitment to revolutionizing medical training. SIMCharacters made waves in 2018 with the launch of “Paul,” an advanced premature simulator that garnered acclaim for its high-emotion simulation capabilities. Building on their success, SIMCharacters is set to unveil their highly anticipated second product, “Emily,” a full-term simulator, at IMSH 2024.
- Shared vision for multimodal simulation spans analog, immersive and digital techniques
- Multimodal delivery meets diverse healthcare learning environments and needs
- GigXR and CAE Healthcare to showcase partnership potential at IMSH 2024
GigXR, Inc., a global provider of extended reality (XR) solutions for healthcare training, and CAE Healthcare announced today their partnership to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of clinical simulation. The collaboration between GigXR and CAE Healthcare streamlines the ability to implement and manage multimodal simulation for medical schools, nursing schools, hospital systems, first responders, and government – spanning analog, immersive and digital modalities that can be used to create full curricula.
Sunday, January 21, 2024 (all times are Pacific Time Zone)
- 6:30 AM – 8:30 AM SimFit Fun Run/Walk (7:00 AM Shotgun Start)
- 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM Registration
- 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM SSH Central
- 7:00 AM – 4:30 PM Presenter Center
- 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM Opening Plenary Session Michael Bonner – The Chad Epps Lecture
- 12:30 PM – 6:00 PM Grand Opening of Exhibit Hall
- 12:30 PM – 6:00 PM Technology Experiential Area in Exhibit Hall
- 12:30 PM – 6:00 PM Research Posters Displayed in Exhibit Hall
- 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM Research Poster Professor Rounds in Exhibit Hall
- 4:30 PM – 6:00 PM “Happy Hour” in the Exhibit Hall
- Live Streamed
- 11:00 AM – 12:30 PM Opening Plenary Session Michael Bonner – The Chad Epps Lecture
Grand Opening of Exhibit Hall and Key Event Sponsors
The excitement was palpable at the Grand Opening of the Exhibit Hall. There were 141 vendors and exhibits. #IMSH2024 participants were like children in a candy store. Participants had the ability to learn more about new and existing products and services to help educate simulation learners. The exhibit hall allowed participants the opportunity for experiential learning and collaborate with the vendors to help solve problems as a two-way idea sharing. Participants can inform vendors what they need and vendors can inform simulationist what is currently available and possible.
To help offset the cost and improve #IMSH2024, several vendors sponsor events. This year is no exception. The Sponsors #IMSH2024 are:
- The Presidential Sponsor Education Management Solution
- The Platinum Level Sponsors are
- CAE Healthcare
- Intelligent Video Solution
- Surgical Science
- Gold Level Sponsor – Limbs & Things
- IMSH 2024 Mobile App Sponsor – e train
- Plenary Session – The Chad Epps Lecture Sponsor – HTC Vive
IMSH Delivers 2024 consists of educational content live-streamed from the in-person event and prerecorded sessions. Livestreamed content will be recorded and included in the IMSH Delivers 2024 Collection. Virtual attendees have access to earn a total of 30 IPCE credit hours. Additional courses from the IMSH Delivers 2024 Collection will be available for an additional $25 per IPCE unit. The IMSH Delivers 2024 Collection will be comprised of:
- Livestream of 4 Plenary Sessions
- Livestream of eight (8) sessions from the in-person meeting. One course from each general session time block will be live-streamed to the virtual audience
- 12 recorded educational courses
- 40 Pre-recorded Oral Research Abstract Presentations
- 2 recorded Learning Lab presentations
Amazing Plenary Session at IMSH 2024
- Michael Bonner, a renowned leader, innovator, and performance booster in education, delivered the opening plenary for IMSH 2024, to a record setting largest healthcare simulation conference in the world.
- Michael shared his amazing stories and insights with comedic style. He shared lessons learned from teaching in challenging environments and using “relentless determination”.
- Michael challenged healthcare simulation educators to create “intentional relationships”, “strategic collaboration” and embrace “Industry 4.0”, the Fourth Industrial Revolution by adopting 21st Century skills in their practice.
More About IMSH
Hosted by the Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH), the International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare (IMSH) is a scientific conference that explores the latest innovations and best practices in healthcare simulation. IMSH provides the tools and resources healthcare professionals need to advance their skills, impact change in delivery systems and practice, and, ultimately, improve patient safety. For live updates follow #IMSH2024.
Plan ahead: IMSH 2025: IMSH 2025 will be held from January 10 to January 14, 2025 in Orlando, Florida.
Follow @HealthySim on X for the Latest Updates!
Teresa Gore, PhD, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, CHSE-A, FSSH, FAAN – Dr. Gore has experience in educating future nurses in the undergraduate and graduate nursing programs. Dr. Gore has a PhD in Adult Education, a DNP as a family nurse practitioner, and a certificate in Simulation Education. Dr. Gore is an innovative, compassionate educator and an expert in the field of healthcare simulation. In 2007l Teresa started her journey in healthcare simulation. She is involved in INACSL and SSH. She is a Past-President of INACSL and is a Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator Advanced (CHSE-A). In 2018, she was inducted as a Fellow in the American Academy of Nursing (FAAN). In 2021, she was inducted as a Fellow in the Society of Simulation in Healthcare Academy (FSSH) and selected as a Visionary Leader University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Nursing Alumni. During her career, Dr. Gore has led in the development and integration of simulation into all undergraduate clinical courses and started an OSCE program for APRN students. Her research interests and scholarly work focus on simulation, online course development and faculty development. She has numerous invited presentations nationally and internationally on simulation topics.