SIMTICS Hosts Massive Online Library of Clinical Skills Learner Programs
SIMTICS wants to help you “learn healthcare skills, anytime, anywhere” with their online subscription based library of simulation, 3D anatomy, video, text and quizzes. HealthySim’s writers recently discovered SIMTICS as an online learning platform which we have not seen at any previous simulation conference trade show floor before — so take a closer look at this company which may be a perfect fit for your program needs! SIMTICS suggests they have everything your program needs at your fingertips to educate, practice and test learner clinical skills with unlimited access to 120+ simulations of clinical procedures currently serving over 10,000+ users worldwide. Perhaps SIMTICS is the missing piece you need to extend learning beyond your skills labs — we would suggest taking advantage of the free SIMTICS trial to find out!
The SIMTICS mission is to revolutionize and democratize the way healthcare students and staff learn and practice clinical and imaging procedures. They use technology to help students to think, prepare, practice, and then test their skills and knowledge –“anytime and anywhere”! SIMTICS interactive, web-based simulations provide a powerful and cost-effective adjunct to live practical classes. By using SIMTICS to cover the basic competencies, educators can spend more in-class time on higher-value discussion and activities.
An example video below showcases the SIMTICS web-based procedure simulator. This e-learning module is available in the the SIMTICS Nursing and Medical Assistant suites. Each module covers one procedure in detail and has an online simulator for learners for them to practice and rehearse the procedure on their own computer. As well as an interactive simulation, each module also contains a video demonstration, descriptive step-by-step text, applied anatomy, plus a quiz. The simulator has a Learn mode with hints and guidance to help learners while they engage with the material. Then when they feel confident, learners can use Test mode to check their competence in the procedure.
Virtual reality cognitive simulation from SIMTICS offers an effective solution for learning complex procedures, and is especially powerful when embedded into an overall training curriculum. Using a standard personal computer with a web browser, SIMTICS HealthcareTM delivers expert, interactive online training for students and professionals. An affordable, accessible, easily scalable solution that requires no special hardware or equipment. The unique SIMTICS simulator allows trainees to learn procedures anytime, anywhere, in a safe environment which is available in two modes: Learn Mode provides guidance to the user, and Test Mode checks proficiency in performing the procedure.
The simulator is supported by rich text, 3D anatomy, and video, bringing complex clinical procedures to life in a real-time three-dimensional environment. Quizzes check theoretical knowledge that cannot be tested in the simulator. A personal log book tracks the trainee’s complete learning history with scores, time taken, and errors made, which can all be used to assess competency. The SIMTICS HealthcareTM catalogue offers over 100 procedure training modules across a range of disciplines.
- Learn by doing with Simulation that engages learner’s minds, making it a powerful way to learn, practice and perfect for their cognitive clinical skills.
- Practice and Improve with Web-based, so practice as often as learner want and track their progress while they learn, to ensure they reach competence.
- Test learners skills in the test-mode simulations which ultimately provides certificates of completion.
Example of SIMTICS Medicine Learning Material
- Male Urinary Bladder Catheterization
- Female Urinary Bladder Catheterization
- Suprapubic Catheterization
- Arterial Blood Gas Sampling
- Arterial Line Insertion
- Venous Cannulation
- Central Venous Catheterization – Subclavian
- Central Venous Catheterization – Internal Jugular
- Bimanual Pelvic Examination
- Cervical Smear
- Nasogastric Tube Insertion
- Rigid Sigmoidoscopy
- Digital Rectal Examination
- Digital Block
- Lumbar Puncture
- Intercostal Drain Insertion (Simple Technique)
- Intercostal Drain Removal (Simple Technique)
- Intercostal Drain Insertion (Mattress Suture)
- Intercostal Drain Removal (Mattress Suture)
- Electrocardiography (ECG) – 12 Lead
- Electrocardiography (ECG – 3 Lead
- Laparascopic Appendectomy
Example of SIMTICS Sonography – Diagnostic Medical Learning Material
- Basic Scan Techniques
- Ultrasound Physics (Two Modules)
- Abdominal Vessels
- Gastrointestinal Tract
- Retroperitoneum, Peritoneal Cavity and Abdominal Wall
- Urinary Tract and Adrenal Glands
- Female Breast
- Female Reproductive Organs
- Male Reproductive Organs
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.