VirtaMed Unveils New LaparoS Laparoscopy Simulator on Upgraded Platform
VirtaMed is excited to launch their new LaparoS Laparoscopy Simulator, which is now the only lap trainer offering realistic positioning! Patient positioning, trocar placement and team setup in the Operating Room are essential parts of proper and safe laparoscopy training. With LaparoS, a learner can now practice all of these key clinical skills in the most realistic and motivational simulation environment, on a true-to-life abdomen model. Best of all, with the upgraded VirtaMed Surgical Simulator platform, your surgery simulation program can now swap ArthroS, GynoS and UroS modules across each platform — which really increases ROI for surgical simulation programs which are educating and training across multiple disciplines. Let’s take a closer look at the new LaparoS lap trainer medical simulator from VirtaMed.
Prof. Dieter Hahnloser, Head Physician of Visceral Surgery at CHUV Lausanne, Switzerland shared that the “LaparoS includes the whole procedural preparation: the positioning of the patient and the placement of the trocars. Then there is the practical part – the step by step learning across different levels”, which he says really makes the simulator “stand out”.
VirtaMed LaparoS includes an anatomically correct abdomen model that can be used for (reverse) Trendelenburg positioning as appropriate to the training case. Free choice of portals enables trainees to learn instrument handling with different trocar placement. Realistic laparoscopic instruments have been adapted for simulation and combine full freedom of movement with authentic haptic interactions. The surgical simulator is optimized for ergonomic training with an adjustable operative height and a movable multi-touch screen. VirtaMed LaparoS is a multidisciplinary platform, allowing healthcare simulation programs to rapidly switch between laparoscopy and further VirtaMed modules and anatomies: GynoS, UroS and ArthroS.
VirtaMed LaparoS Features
- Realistic Graphics
- High fidelity visualization
- Simulation of entire abdomen including correct physical behavior of all organs
- True OR Setup
- Patient positions: Trendelenburg, Anti-Trendelenburg and others
- Free Trocar positioning
- New force feedback concept and realistic tactile sensation
- Single user as well as surgeon & assistant training possibilities
- Motivational Training
- Condensed training steps based on a pedagogical teaching concept
- Training focused on important surgical skills, pathologies and complications
- Performance feedback using state of the art metrics during and after procedure
LaparoS enables a trainee to learn anatomy identification, key surgical skills and complication handling required to become an excellent laparoscopy surgeon in the most efficient way. LaparoS offers a condensed training focused on short sequences teaching transferable key skills. Each sequence takes place in a realistic environment and can be repeated according to the needs of the trainee.
With repeated objective measurement of metrics, a trainee can benchmark his or hers performance and identify strengths and areas for improvement faster. A continuously high level of engagement is maintained throughout the training, enabled by:
- Immersive environment: realistic patient and organ anatomy as well as team and patient positioning
- Procedural guidance incl. messages, outside view, colored hints (VirtaMed SimProctor)
- Feedback on procedural errors provided
- Short duration of training sequences
- Team training possibility allowing to train OR communication and physical orientation among peers
Highly Condensed Training Cases Included:
- General Surgery:
- Establishing the critical view for a safe cholecystectomy
- Cystic pedicle dissection and safe clipping
- Gallbladder resection using various techniques
- Control of hemorrhage in the liver bed
- Retrieving gallstones to train bimanual coordination
- Lysis of bowel adhesions
- Dissecting the mesoappendix to expose the appendicular artery
- Vascular control of appendicular artery
- Diagnostic of an incisional hernia
- Lysis of adhesions to a hernia site
- Gynecology (Coming Soon):
- Lysis of uterine adhesions following cesarean section
- Diagnostic of ectopic pregnancy
- Identification of the ureters
- Clipping the uterine artery
- Control of hemorrhage from ovarian artery
- Lysis of bladder adhesions
- Tubal ligation
- Removal of an ovarian cyst
- Urological (Coming Soon)
More About VirtaMed
VirtaMed is a Swiss company that develops & produces highly realistic surgical simulators for medical training. Surgeons use original instruments to train in a safe environment before performing surgeries on patients. The origins of VirtaMed date back to 2001 when a hysteroscopy simulator project in the frame of the NCCR CO-ME of the Swiss National Science Foundation involving 16 PhD students was started. At the end of the project in 2007, six colleagues decided to start a company. VirtaMed’s vision is to improve the quality of medical care with state-of- the-art, virtual reality based medical training and education.
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.