New Book: Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice
Just before SimGHOSTS 2019 USA launches this week in Miami at Florida International University the latest Simulation Book from the Springer Published Series has been published — and its all about operations! “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice”, edited by SimGHOSTS Past President Dr. Scott Crawford, SimGHOSTS and HealthySimulation.com Founder Lance Baily, and Dr. Stormy Monks, is almost 400 pages of the latest and best practices in Simulation Healthcare Operations! With chapters by leading experts from around the world, this latest Medical Simulation Book has already received massive praise. Download Springer’s ebook version now or purchase your soft cover version from Springer for estimated delivery in September, or grab from Amazon!
This practical guide provides a focus on the implementation of healthcare simulation operations, as well as the type of professional staff required for developing effective programs in this field. Though there is no single avenue in which a person pursues the career of a healthcare simulation technology specialist (HSTS), this book outlines the extensive knowledge and variety of skills one must cultivate to be effective in this role.
This book begins with an introduction to healthcare simulation, including personnel, curriculum, and physical space. Subsequent chapters address eight knowledge/skill domains core to the essential aspects of an HSTS. Best practices and innovations are provided, and the benefits of developing a collaborative relationship with industry stakeholders are discussed. Expertly written text throughout the book is supplemented with dozens of high-quality color illustrations, photographs, and tables.
Key Take Aways From Latest Sim Ops Book:
- Practical guide helps prepare professionals for the broad scope of simulation in healthcare
- Defines the domains of medical simulation operations
- Focuses on the development of the healthcare simulation technology specialist
- Written and edited by leaders in the field of clinical simulation
Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice Chapters
- History of Simulation: Baily, Lance W.
- Types of Healthcare Simulation: Locations and Training – Who, What, and Where?: Gavilanes, Jesika S. (et al.)
- Simulation Methodologies: Charnetski, Matthew David
- Simulation Center Personnel: Andreatta, Pamela
- Finding the Right Simulation Personnel: Thomson, Wendy Z.
- Professional Development for the Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialist: Kardong-Edgren, Suzan (et al.)
- Simulation Curriculum Development, Integration, and Operations: Lioce, Lori (et al.)
- The Research Process: Monks, Stormy M. (et al.)
- Infrastructure and Simulation Center Design: Sekandarpoor, Ferooz (et al.)
- Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialists: Crawford, Scott B. (et al.)
- The Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialist and…
- Audio/Video Technology: Dadaleares, Todd S. (et al.)
- Educational Constructs in Simulation: Steer, Kirrian
- Healthcare: Joshi, Nikita (et al.)
- Information Technology: Luevano, Eduardo R. (et al.)
- Management: Patel, Amar Pravin (et al.)
- Research: Monks, Stormy M.
- Simulation: Rascon, Lawrence M.
- Standardized Patients: Lewis, Karen L
- Technology and Innovation: Joshi, Nikita (et al.)
- Common and Best Practices for Do-It-Yourself Enhancements: Stump, Robert F.
- Role and Goal of Industry in Education and Patient Safety: Whiteside, Graham A.
Written and edited by leaders in the field, Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice is optimized for a variety of learners, including healthcare educators, simulation directors, as well as those looking to pursue a career in simulation operations as healthcare simulation technology specialists.
From the Forward by UPMC’s WISER Simulation Center Director Dr. Paul Phrampus: “After having the opportunity to review this textbook focusing on operations, technology, and innovative practice associated with the Springer series “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation,” I am convinced that it serves as a much-needed, all-encompassing resource for the global simulation community.
The book has been edited and authored by those who are pioneers and experts in understanding, defining, and developing the role of the healthcare simulation technology specialist, many of whom have been involved with various simulation organizations around the globe. Mr. Baily and Dr. Crawford were instrumental in the founding and proliferation of The Gathering of Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialists (SimGHOSTS), which is the largest global non-profit organization solely dedicated to the training and advancement of the HSTS profession.
You will find a masterful blend of high-level, conceptual overviews of the defining roles for the technology specialist in healthcare simulation as well as drilling down into hands-on tips, tricks and how- to’s. The text fulfills a need of the healthcare simulation community, which is to provide a comprehensive resource for the modern healthcare simulation technology specialist.”
About the Authors
Scott B. Crawford, MD, FACEP, CHSOS is board-certified in emergency medicine and is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) El Paso. He is also the Director for Simulation at TTUHSC El Paso. He served as President of SimGHOSTS from 2015 to 2017 and has presented both in the USA and internationally on topics related to audio/video design, information technology, and simulation innovation. He has served as a reviewer and author for standards of best practice for healthcare simulation and topics related to simulation and technology education.
Lance W. Baily, BA, EMT-B is the Founder and current Chairman of the Board of the international SimGHOSTS organization, as well as Founder and Managing Director of HealthySimulation.com. His background includes serving as Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas, operating simulation technology for the Los Angeles Community College District, training as a Fire Fighter and Rescue Diver, and helping to create thousands of Hollywood digital media productions. He is passionate to empower healthcare educators and simulation technology specialists to learn, network, and engage with their peers from around the world.
Stormy M. Monks, PhD, MPH is an Assistant Professor with Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (TTUHSC) El Paso. She currently serves as a Research Scientist for the Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Simulation Education. In addition, she has served as the Research Director for SimGHOSTS, an international nonprofit group dedicated to providing technology education and innovation to simulation centers worldwide. She sits on the TTUHSC El Paso Institutional Review Board.
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Dr. Abigail Baily in Las Vegas, Nevada with their newborn daughter and two crazy dachshunds.