Two New Online Master’s Degree Programs for Healthcare Simulation
This year two new Master’s Degree programs for Healthcare Simulation have launched into action for those considering to advance their career in this highly sought after field. Located within the U.S. is the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Health Professions MSHS of Master of Science Healthcare Simulation, and from Ireland comes the Masters of Science (MSc.) in Healthcare Simulation and Patient Safety (alongside a postgraduate diploma) from the National University of Ireland in Galway. Both programs offer a unique opportunity for those interested in doubling down on Healthcare Simulation as their professional career pathway, mostly from the comfort of your own home anywhere around the world!
About Master of Science Healthcare Simulation from UAB
The Master of Science in Healthcare Simulation from UAB is designed to prepare you to lead within your organization using simulation to improve quality of care and impact patient outcomes. We provide a strong foundation in simulation as an educational methodology and as well as evidence-based quality and patient safety strategies. The program is taught by nationally and internationally recognized experts in simulation design and implementation. Patient safety and quality is a strength within the curriculum.
The program is housed in the Department of Health Services Administration enabling students to learn from faculty in the #1 ranked Health Administration program according to US News and World Report. The degree is an online program giving you the flexibility to complete the degree while working full time. It is accomplished through four semesters of course work, with a three-day residential visit in the first semester. The content of the curriculum includes opportunities to integrate healthcare simulation into your current practice in innovative ways. They are seeking interprofessional students from a variety of backgrounds who are interested in working collaboratively to improve patient care with clinical simulation. Faculty in this program are committed to developing future leaders in healthcare simulation. The curriculum opportunities include:
- HCS 575: Introduction to Healthcare Simulation for Quality and Safety: This is an introductory course on the origins and current applications of healthcare simulation. It will also include an overview of simulation methodology and its application in education, training, quality, and patient safety settings.
- HCS 620: Current Trends in Simulation: This is a survey course on emerging technologies as well as new applications and best practices in the delivery of simulation.
- HCS 625: Simulation Methodology: This course provides an intensive focus on the development of simulation sequences to meet identified priorities. It will include an emphasis on simulation case development including debriefing and assessment strategies. Additional important topics included are issues related to teamwork and interprofessional competencies.
- HCS 626: Simulation Laboratory Intensive: This course provides the opportunity to participate in simulations as well as apply research-based strategies for designing and implementing simulation scenarios. There is a focus on debriefing and developing solutions to common issues in simulation.
- HCS 640: Project Management: This course introduces the student to techniques for planning, scheduling, allocating resources, and measuring performance activities required for successfully completing a project.
- HCS 698: Simulation Capstone: Rigorous culminating project that provides the opportunity for focused investigation of simulation applications in a real-world setting. Investigation and application of theory through a practical project.
- IDD 610: Instructional Design: Instructional Design is a project-based course that includes step-by-step strategies to create instruction using design models, instructional strategies, and technology applications. Learners will study the processes of analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation in order to apply real-world training solutions to instructional challenges.
- HQS 600: Introduction to Clinical Quality Improvement: Clinical quality improvement theory; classes of outcomes; process management; management tools and modeling techniques for improvement of clinical processes and decision-making.
- HA 620: Healthcare Financial Management: Application of financial management techniques to decision making for health care providers. Financial management functions and organizations, financial statement analysis, working capital management, present value analysis, capital budgeting, cost of capital, variance analysis, financing techniques, and financial analysis case studies.
- HA 650: Management and Leadership for Clinical Professionals: Leadership concepts and management principles as employed by clinical professionals in health care organizations. Focus on effective approaches to communication, change and conflict management, performance and financial management, and cultural competence.
- HCS 635. Advanced Debriefing: This course provides the learner with an in-depth review and application of current debriefing models in the field of simulation. Emphasis will be placed on choosing effective debriefing models for various modalities of simulation and the level of the learner.
- HCS 680. Independent Study: Opportunity to investigate, perform relevant activities, and/or conduct a project related to a narrow topic in healthcare simulation.
With more than 4,000 alumni across the country and world, UAB continues to make a difference – improving health care delivery and inspiring future leaders. Come to UAB and you will join an elite group of people making impactful contributions that improve health, health care, and quality of life for patients and communities. Learn more about the MSHS from UAB here!
About the Masters of Science (MSc.) in Healthcare Simulation and Patient Safety From the National University of Ireland in Galway
The main goal of the National University of Ireland Galway’s MSc. in Healthcare Simulation and Patient Safety is to prepare the student to deliver healthcare simulation, run a healthcare simulation centre, and carry out research on or using healthcare simulation. The course is delivered as much as possible online through distance learning. This delivery method allows the student to study at a time that is convenient to them, no matter where they live. The modules are delivered using a combination of multi-media presentations, online discussion boards, and online tutorials.
There will also be a need to attend our 4 days (2 weekends) medial simulation immersion interactive workshops which give the learner hands on experience and training in high fidelity simulation, task trainers, standardized patients, scenario generation, creation of virtual patient scenarios for e-learning and serious game design. They take place in the simulation centre located at the Irish Centre for Applied Patient Safety and Simulation (ICAPSS) at Galway University Hospital. Modules 1 to 6 will be delivered during the first academic year. Modules 7 and 8 will be delivered during the second academic year of study.
- Module 1. An introduction to simulation and training in healthcare
- Module 2. Simulation with manikin and task based trainers
- Module 3. Standardised patients, virtual patients, and hybrid simulation
- Module 4. Human factors and patient safety in simulation
- Module 5. Uses of medical and healthcare simulation beyond education
- Module 6. Running an effective simulation-based education programme
- Module 7. Research Methods for Medical and Healthcare Simulation
- Module 8. Research Thesis.
In the last decade there have been large changes in: undergraduate healthcare education, postgraduate healthcare education, delivery of healthcare, and the working environment. These changes have led to a large investment in simulation centres nationally and internationally. The MSc. Healthcare Simulation and Patient Safety will provide the student with the expertise required to lead and carry out research in simulation-based education in undergraduate and postgraduate healthcare teaching environments. Learn more about the degree program here!
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He and his wife Abigail Baily, PhD live in Las Vegas, Nevada with two amazing daughters and two crazy dachshunds.