ORSIM Provides Small, Portable & Affordable Bronchoscopy Simulator
ORSIM’s vision is to improve procedural skills training with hands-on medical simulation, starting with the ORSIM bronchoscopy simulator that provides high-quality graphics, portable utilization, affordable cost and rugged design. The product’s development began in 2006 by Anesthesiologist Dr. Paul Baker, who specializes in airway management and flexible bronchoscopy, who recognized the need for a small, portable simulator which could be used both in training centers and within the workplace to allow staff and students to learn bronchoscopy.
The ORSIM system has been designed as an affordable solution to address an urgent need to improve bronchoscopy training. They have developed a high quality, virtual reality, bronchoscopy simulator that is small, portable and capable of running off a laptop. This combined with the latest computer graphics and simulation technology takes hands-on experience to a higher dimension.
- Realistic Graphics: High definition virtual modeling of a range of anatomy and pathology scenarios facilitates bronchoscope dexterity as well as building experience and knowledge.
- Extremely Portable: Due to its small scale and laptop compatibility, it can be stored near the OR for regular use and easily transported to classrooms, training facilities and conferences.
- Multiple Scenarios: Virtual format enables part task training and promotes skill development and dexterity with a fully functional bronchoscope as well as providing an economical and safe solution to training.
- Economical: The ORSIM bronchoscopy simulator is a robust training tool enabling self-directed, patient free and tutor free learning. The result is significant cost savings in terms of training time and training resources.
- Robust Construction: Both the replica video bronchoscope and desktop sensor module are designed for the rigors of training – avoiding expensive damage to clinical bronchoscopes during training.
The ORSIM system consists of three main parts: a replica video bronchoscope, a desktop sensor and a dedicated laptop with software program.
The replica video bronchoscope is connected to the small desktop sensor. The sensor registers movement of the insertion tube and translates this to a three-dimensional virtual airway displayed through the software on the laptop screen. The user can progress through a range of upper and lower airway scenarios receiving instant feedback as well as scoring metrics, recording and play-back.
The ORSIM bronchoscopy simulator provides comprehensive training for a common diagnostic procedure, which until now has required lengthy specialist training. Based on its size, simplicity and economy, it is suitable for large training organizations as well as individual practices.