Simulation Summit 2018 Conference: Ottawa September 28th & 29th
On September 28th & 29th, The Royal College of Physicians of Canada is hosting the 2018 “Simulation Summit” which promises to be “a unique and practical, interprofessional medical education simulation conference.” The Simulation Summit is a unique and practical, interprofessional medical simulation education conference, which attracts hundreds of international simulation educators, researchers, health care professionals and other individuals engaged in the field of simulation. Through networking and both formal and informal learning opportunities, the goal of the Royal College Simulation Summit is to provide a venue for novice and seasoned simulation educators to share ideas, explore cutting edge research and accelerate best practices in simulation-based education for health professionals. The event has an estimated attendance of 300 simulation champions!
2018 Simulation Summit objectives include:
- Promote best practices in simulation-based health education (SBHE)
- Give participants the tools to advocate for SBHE in their context
- Navigate the different modalities and contexts in which SBHE takes place
Plenary Speakers Include:
- Dr. Peter Dieckmann PhD, Dipl.-Psych., is an organizational psychologist working with the Copenhagen Academy for Medical Education and Simulation (CAMES).
- Dr. Suzan Schneeweiss Suzan Schneeweiss, MD, MEd, FRCPC is an Associate Professor of Paediatrics and Associate Dean Continuing Professional Development, University of Toronto
- Marlies van Dijk, RN, MSc. Marlies van Dijk, RN, MSc. Innovation Lead, Quality and Healthcare Improvement Alberta Health Services
- Craig Campbell, MD, FRCPC Craig Campbell, MD, FRCPC . Internal Medicine, Associate Professor of Medicine at the University of Ottawa and Principal Senior Advisor
- Constance LeBlanc, MD, CCFP(EM), MAEd, CCPE, Constance LeBlanc, MD, CCFP(EM), MAEd, CCPE, Emergency Physician at Queen Elizabeth II Health Sciences Centre & Director of Education. Professor & Associate Dean for Continuing Professional Development at Dalhousie University
Simulation Summit Session Examples Include:
- Simulation on the design and management of a medical clinic
- The Learner’s Quality Circle – a Student-Led Group – an Adjunct to Simulation-Focused Administrative Committees
- Peer Teaching is an effective method for simulation-based skills training: a randomized control study
- Efficacy of Computer-Based Simulation as a Modality for Learning Pediatric Disaster Triage by Emergency Nurses
- Validation of a Simulation-Based Tool For Formative Assessment of Echocardiography Skill Competence in Cardiology Trainees
- Activity Metrics in blended simulation
- Escape Game as a Theatre-Based Simulation for Teamwork Skills Training in Undergraduate Medical Education
- Debriefing 101 : Une introduction au debriefing en simulation
- Models and moulage on a dime (creating cost effective models that turn your labs from good to simtastic)
- Optimizing learning with Cognitive Load Theory (CLT)
- Using implementation science to construct and implement simulation programs in medical education context
- Simulation for quality improvement: Pearls for System Integration: A modified Pearls framework for debriefing large scale systems based simulations
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas to better connect the global medical simulation community. Lance also founded SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting healthcare professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now.
Lance’s background includes operating simulation technologies for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood production, Rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.