Simulation Technology Specialist I
The Zamierowski Institute for Experiential Learning (ZIEL) is a world class education and training center for students at the University of Kansas Medical Center (KUMC) and professionals at The University of Kansas Health System (TUKHS).
The Simulation Technology Specialist I is an entry level technical position contributing to the daily work of healthcare simulation program delivery. This person is part of the program delivery team that is responsible for installing, operating, maintaining, and troubleshooting high technology patient simulators, lower technology task trainers, medical equipment, computer hardware/software, recording devices and related multimedia technologies used in the training of healthcare professionals and students.
As part of a team that delivers simulation events through equipment, supply, moulage and costume preparations; setup and teardown of the event; and technical operations of software and hardware during the event – this person is able to work independently in an organized and detail-oriented manner on routine/noncomplex tasks, and delivers recurring simulations with simple technical requirements.
This person participates as a productive team member by completing assigned routine tasks and understands basic troubleshooting techniques and principles. Appropriate consultation with technical experts is usually needed to respond to changing conditions by demonstrating flexibility in meeting unanticipated situations, with guidance.
The Simulation Technology Specialist I may also assist with simulation-related research efforts as designated and provides an appropriate level of training on simulators, computer hardware and software, audiovisual equipment and related equipment. The role interfaces with a broad range of clients requiring strong communication skills and ability to use a variety of technical resources to provide program delivery support.
This is an unclassified non-exempt position reporting to the Simulation Technology Strategist.
- Bachelor’s degree in related or equivalent combination of education/experience in clinical simulation and/or information technology.
- Exhibits excellent communication, organizational, computer, and multimedia skills.
- Experience in resolving operational problems related to technology.
- Physical effort, including moving or lifting heavy objects (e.g. manikins), is frequently necessary.
- Extended periods of standing may be necessary.
- Experience working in an academic institution.
- Two years of audio/visual experience.
- Two years of computer/IT experience(including some networking).
- Two years of experience working in a simulation lab, including experience with simulation manikins, equipment and software.
- Follow standard operating procedures, instructions, and checklists to prepare, set-up and cleanup simulation and procedural skills events.
- Operate, maintain, and troubleshoot simulation equipment, clinical equipment, specialized audiovisual and computer hardware/software, applications, recording systems and network systems.
- Participate in curriculum design meetings to facilitate technical planning and delivery for simulation activities.
- Work with instructors and facilitators on case development, testing, and running scenarios.
- Program and operate simulator software for physiological response per instructor specifications.
- Operate video cameras and related equipment in the production and editing of educational videos.
- Manage recording, playback, storage, and cataloguing of simulations.
- Develop technical documentation and checklists for simulation programming.
- Order supplies and re-stock inventory after simulation activities.
- Interface with program manufacturers regarding equipment troubleshooting and systems problems, as well as periodic upgrades. Maintain records of maintenance and repair.
- Acquire and maintains skills and knowledge related to existing and newly acquired technologies.
- Review emergent technologies and make recommendations for purchasing.
- Generate innovative approaches for technology improvement and integration in to healthcare education.
- Participate in systems and procedures development.
- Special technical projects and other duties as assigned.
To learn more and apply online, please visit http://jobs.kumc.edu/postings/26741 or go to https://jobs.kumc.edu/ and search for position number 01203455.
*Applications must be submitted directly through the KU Medical Center website to be considered for this position. Any applications submitted via email or this website will NOT be reviewed or considered.
KU Medical Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disability status, or genetic information.
About KU Medical Center:
The University of Kansas Medical Center’s mission is to educate exceptional health care professionals through a full range of undergraduate, graduate, professional, postdoctoral and continuing education programs in the schools of Medicine, Nursing and Health Professions. KU Medical Center also advances the health sciences through world-class research programs; provides compassionate and state-of-the-art patient care in an academic medical center environment; and works with communities in every Kansas county to improve the health of Kansans. Learn more at www.kumc.edu.