Simulation Specialist at UPMC
At UPMC, our shared goal is to create a cohesive, positive, experience for our employees, patients, health plan members, and community. If you too are driven by these values, you may be a great fit at UPMC!
The Peter M. Winter Institute for Simulation Education and Research (WISER) is a world class multidisciplinary training and research facility. WISER is an institute of the University of Pittsburgh with a mission to conduct research and training programs utilizing simulation based education to provide a safer environment for patients of the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and its affiliates.
Job Description: Under general supervision, this individual will operate and maintain all simulation base equipment at WISER center and its satellites. The individual will also provide support and development of educational and/or research programming.
Job Title: Simulation Specialist
Job ID: 44148026
Hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Shift: Day Job
Facility: Corporate Quality
Department: WISER Center
Location: 230 Mckee Place, Pittsburgh PA 15213
- Develop technical proficiency with all aspects of the operations, maintenance, support, trouble-shooting, and minor repair of the WISER Institute, its satellites and associated equipment within one year of hiring, including but not limited to: Laerdal, Inc. products (computer-driven human simulator system), the anesthesia machines, life-support systems, physiologic monitors, personal computers and peripherals, and audiovisual and wireless communication systems.
- Assist Director, Associate Director, Operational Director and faculty (as prioritized by the Director, Associate Director or Operational Director) to develop curriculum and educational materials for different levels and types of training related to the WISER Institute.
- Responsible for the maintenance of all equipment and timely ordering and availability of supplies.
- Assist with scheduling and coordination of teaching and research with the simulators.
- Will assist with faculty and education-related research efforts as designated by the Director, Associate Director or Operational Director.
- Operate or assist with the operation of the simulators and task trainers for all training sessions as needed or requested by the Director, Associate Director or Operational Director.
- Assist faculty orientation to principles of simulation training technology and configurations.
- Ability to assess equipment failures and remedy such failures in a timely fashion. Ability to work under pressure and reliably meet deadlines is essential. Must be able to communicate with multiple levels of healthcare professionals. Ability to work independently and reliably within parameters designated by the Director, Associate Director and Operational Director.
- Carry out other special projects designated by the Director, Associate Director or Operational Director.
- Interface with the equipment manufacturers regarding trouble-shooting equipment and systems problems and implementing hardware and software updates.
Bachelor's degree or 4 years of college with emphasis in healthcare and healthcare technology or 4 years related experience is required , an equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Familiarity with operation of personal computers is essential. Familiarity with medical terminology and audio visual equipment is desirable.
Licensure, Certifications, and Clearances:
UPMC is an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Salary Range: $21.22 to $36.63 / hour
Union Position: No
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and current Chairman of the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.