Simulation Operations Specialist
The Virtual Simulation Center of Excellence in Nursing has one faculty Director and two co-Directors (UG and Grad). This operation houses the skills lab, virtual computer lab, and numerous simulation centers for student educational purposes. Both undergraduate and graduate students and faculty attend classes in this space. The lab is supported by two lab specialists.
Under the direction of the Assistant Director, the Simulation Operations Specialist will provide technical support for all experiential learning operations, including preparation, maintenance and repair of computerized manikins (software and hardware), task trainers and related multimedia peripherals. The College of Nursing supports all colleges of Health in their skills and simulation courses for students in nursing, medicine, pharmacy, PT, PA, and athletic training in all instructional sites.
1. Knowledge of medical terminology.
2. Knowledge of patient simulation services, technologies, mechanics and applications.
3. Knowledge of computer hardware equipment and software applications relevant to simulator functions.
4. Knowledge of audio/video equipment and software for recording, duplication, mixing and editing.
Designs, analyzes, and maintains the mechanical systems and equipment of the simulation environment. Provides technical support for computer based multimedia systems and their components, including operation of computerized simulators and manikins, digital cameras, video cameras, audio/video mixer, digital analog converter, monitors, LCD projectors, anesthesia machines and other equipment. Prepares skills/training labs and varying levels of simulation learning experiences for all colleges of Health (simulation uses various methodologies to train healthcare learners in realistic environments). This requires the ability to program, test, assist, and operate computerized simulation scenarios in collaboration with content experts and faculty. Assist with the use and operation of different simulator technologies; conducts routine equipment maintenance; repairs manikins' hard-and software issues.
- Simulation Setup and Inventory Control:
Collaborates each semester with Assistant Director, team members and clinical faculty for equipment and set-up for experiential learning experiences and maps out a plan for completion. Responsible for set-up and take down of experiential learning activities for students, often multiple events per day. Monitors inventory supplies and notifies management when materials or supplies need to be ordered. Maintains simulation center as a clean, safe, and operational facility and optimal learning environment. Responsible for safety in the teaching labs and assists the director in the development and implementation of rules and operating procedures. Ensures that laboratory spaces comply with appropriate health and safety regulations. Ensures all necessary forms are completed and maintained to remain in compliance with USF's policies/procedures governing the use of University equipment.
- Data Management:
Adhering to the INACSL Standards of Best Practice and SSH Accreditation Standards, is responsible for entering data for lab usage and recording simulated sessions with subsequent editing and transfer into an archival format for analysis. Insures completed data forms are received and completed in full. Supports the use of digital media and web stream creation for educational and professional distribution, distributes content and back up data, and provides advanced troubleshooting. May serve as a role-player during experiential learning opportunities.
Independently, or as part of a team, assists students and educators in utilization of simulation equipment, providing an appropriate orientation to simulator features and the simulated learning environment. Provides training for faculty and staff in the utilization of simulator equipment.
- Assists with other special projects or initiatives as needed. Opening boxes from receiving, deliveries, calling vendors for supply orders.
- This position requires a Bachelor's degree in a field related to the discipline of work, and one year of related experience; or any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved, to total 5 years. Related disciplines include:
- Medical Simulation
- IT/AV/ Computer
- BioMedical or Health Sciences
- Surgical Technology
- Some positions may require Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist (CHSOS) certification or obtain CHSOS certification within one year of employment.
- Must be able to hold active status as a Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist (CHSOS) or obtain CHSOS certification within 12 months of hiring.
Masters degree in engineering, technology, or health-related field.
Experience in a simulation lab in a university setting.
Information for Applicants
This position is subject to a Level #1 criminal background check.
Job Opening Number: 27216
Original Posting Date: 05/13/2021 - Previous applicants do not need to re-apply.
Posting End Date: 08/13/2021
How To Apply
Click on the Apply Now Careers (usf.edu) button (position# 27216). When applying to an opening you will have the opportunity to upload a cover letter and resume.