Simulation Lab Technician
CDU Strives for EXCELLENCE! Join a team of diverse professionals and start your career today with Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. We are seeking extraordinary and dedicated individuals to achieve the mission that drives us all: to cultivate diverse health professional leaders are dedicated to social justice and health equity for underserved populations…. As a member of CDU faculty, or staff you’ll achieve EXCELLENCE in a welcoming community of passionate medical school professionals.
At CDU we are seeking a talented Simulation Lab Technician.
Under supervision of the Dean of the Mervyn M. Dymally School of Nursing (MMDSON) and with direct supervision from the Clinical Learning Lab Specialist (CLLS), incumbent will oversee, manage, and operate complex simulation apparatuses, equipment, machines, PC’s, AV equipment and other medical simulation equipment. This position will coordinate the set-up, use, and maintenance of all simulation / practice equipment in the MMDSON. In collaboration with the CLLS, this person will also provide administrative support to facilitators and/or outside affiliates for sessions, train potential users on programming scenarios, set-up the simulation sessions, orient participants to the simulators, run simulation operations during sessions, and provide feedback to faculty. This position will provide consultation and support for complex simulation manikins and equipment to incorporate into School of Nursing (SON) programs. The Simulation Lab Technician will consult with SON faculty and staff on all lab courses and lab availability, oversee and manage students’ needs for supplies and equipment during lab hours.
The following duties are typical for this classification.
- Independently set up skills and simulation labs with needed equipment and supplies for educational sessions.
- Operate computer based multimedia systems and their components, including operation of digital cameras, video cameras, audio/video, Learning Space software, monitors, LCD projectors, and other related equipment.
- Assist faculty and students with different simulator technologies ranging from anatomic models and task trainers to screen-based simulations to full body patient simulators.
- Perform pre-simulation activities including powering up simulators, mannequins, patient monitors, AV equipment and other electronic equipment and tests all to ensure proper functioning prior to each simulation session, programming patient scenarios, preparing scenario props, Stocks patient rooms and equipment carts with supplies and equipment needed for specific simulation scenarios, including medications, prepares mannequins as appropriate to the simulation scenario; including filling simulated blood and body fluid chambers, applying wounds and dressings, inserting tubes, using moulage.
- Perform post simulation activities including operating debriefing equipment. Cleans patient rooms; including changing linens, cleaning surfaces, draining simulated blood and body fluids from mannequins, cleaning mannequins.
- Program simulation scenarios and revise scripts based on feedback from faculty.
- Serve as the simulation operator during educational sessions.
- Provide orientation information to faculty, students and visitors as needed.
- Install new hardware and software on simulation equipment and perform upgrades as necessary; perform operational checks on equipment; interface with the equipment manufacturers; consult with technical support; oversee scheduled maintenance.
- Oversee and participate in the ordering and maintenance of supplies, materials, and equipment; acquire and maintain an inventory of materials for instructional programs; create database for inventory of supplies; store, discard and rotate materials according to standard procedures; receive, assemble and test new equipment. Conduct routine equipment maintenance, inventory updates, and equipment purchases.
- Proactively seek and maintain proficiency and provide reports on existing and emerging technologies. Including basic theory, design and implementation.
- Participate in technical training as necessary; attend conferences to stay current with simulation technology.
- Train faculty and other Simulation Center staff in the operational aspects of simulation. Evaluate new equipment and identify opportunities for technology improvement and integration into healthcare education.
- Assist instructors, staff and students in the use of a variety of laboratory equipment, materials and supplies in an instructional setting.
- Use PC or Mac Computers as related to simulation lab.
- Use and setup AV equipment to record simulation sessions.
- Maintain a clean and safe learning lab environment, including supply room organization.
- Attend all meetings of skills lab staff and clinical faculty for issues pertaining to the lab, and follow through assigned action plans.
- Order office supplies, simulation equipment, clinical supplies and maintain inventory.
- Dispose of biological and hazmat waste used in skills and simulation labs in compliance with CDU, State, and Federal guidelines.
- Provide support and work with faculty on tours of the simulation or skills labs.
- Serve as a liaison resource to the SON Simulation and Skills Labs with faculty, staff, students, and the public.
- Keep accurate records of supplies and equipment invoices.
- Regionally accredited 2-year technical degree or equivalent related training in computer science and/or health care-related field; OR
- Minimum of three years’ experience in direct technical support.
- Three years of experience with electronics technology within the last five years.
- One year experience with simulation in nursing or health care related preferred.
- Combination of education and experience within last 5 years will be considered.
- Two years of college level courses working in nursing, anatomy, physiology, or related field will be considered.
- Regionally accredited 2-year technical degree or equivalent related training in computer science and/or health care-related field.
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge of PC/Mac computer software: MS Word, Excel, Outlook.
- Demonstrate experience and knowledge of AV equipment.
- Demonstrate ability to complete work accurately and in a timely manner under workload and deadline pressures, fluctuating workload, and frequent interruptions by prioritizing and multitasking.
- Excellent ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with supervisors, faculty, staff and students.
- Excellent skill in independently setting priorities and time management.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop strong and effective professional relationships with vendors, affiliated, partner hospitals, etc.
- Excellent ability to work as part of a team and ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated knowledge of biological waste disposal using hazmat materials.
- Demonstrate ability to work with persons of various backgrounds and ethnicities.
- Consistently maintain professional behavior in all interaction with staff, faculty, administration and students.
- Experience with independently programming simulation manikins and virtual phlebotomy machines.
- Working knowledge of medical terminology, physiology, pharmacology and equipment.
- Previous experience in clinical and/or education in nursing or healthcare.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
- As needed, available to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
For more information and to apply, https://jobs.cdrewu.edu/postings/3832
At Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, our employees' well-being is important to us. CDU continues to offer health and wellness benefits to help employees stay healthy and provide financial protection against high medical costs. The program incorporates a variety of benefit plans from which employees can choose. The following summary provides a brief overview and high level summary of the benefits that may be available as a member of the faculty or staff working at least 20 hours per week in a regular or conditional position at Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science. For more information, visit https://www.cdrewu.edu/academics/facultystaff/Offices/Benefits
Charles R. Drew University is an Equal Opportunity Employer