Simulation Lab Education Facilitator
at Carilion Clinic
Serves as an educator and facilitator of simulation-based training and evaluation activities. Assists with development, implementation, and audiovisual support of clinical simulation education and maintains simulation equipment.
- Responsible for implementation of day to day activities in the simulation lab to include facility and equipment set-up for teaching sessions.
- Collaborates with directors, managers, physicians, nursing, college faculty and other stakeholders on the development and delivery of simulation activities to integrate equipment into the learning strategies and assessment processes of program curricula.
- Participates in teaching-related activities to include testing and running scenarios with faculty instructors, demonstrating and writing simulator instructions for users, and teaching instructors on the use of the simulator(s).
- Makes recommendations for purchase of equipment, supplies, and materials; assuring that all equipment is maintained in good working order. Maintains the laboratory in a clean, safe and operational status.
- Participates in product specific vendor training and maintains the technical expertise required to effectively facilitate use of the simulation lab.
- Trouble shoots equipment malfunctions as required and/or directed by manufacturers; enforcing proper usage and operation by authorized personnel.
- Maintains appropriate levels of supplies and other disposable and non-disposable items for the operation of the lab.
- Contributes to the development of lab policies, procedures, and practices of the simulation lab.
- Communicates in oral and written formats to internal and external customers. Presents information using multiple delivery approaches. Presentations are organized, well scripted and meet customer needs. Promotes open, honest, proactive two-way communication.
- Adheres to established education standards and practices and utilizes adult learning principles.
- Partners with education consultants to ensure simulation materials are current, relevant and on time
- Teams with managers, physicians, college faculty, and other stakeholders to achieve annual goals and outcomes related to simulation.
- Participates in professional and educational activities to maintain current knowledge base.
- Makes recommendations to the center manager regarding purchase and/or budgetary items.
- Supervises student interns as requested.
- Maintains confidentiality concerning all job-related assignments and other sensitive training issues; strictly follows FERPA and other related guidelines.
What We Require:
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Applied Sciences, Instructional Technology, Healthcare discipline required. Certification in a health care discipline and/or advanced degree preferred.
Experience: Clinical/patient care background (e.g., nursing, EMT) strongly preferred. Two years of experience healthcare education to include curriculum design. Experience in simulation education with a thorough understanding of simulation technology and clinical applications are helpful. Training/instructional technology and hardware experience also a plus.
Licensure, certification, and/or registration: AHA BLS-HCP certified, AHA Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certified, Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator or Operation Specialist (CHSE or CSHOS) to be completed after two years of employment. Must possess a driving record within the scope of Carilion’s Driver Regulations. Valid VA Driver’s License Required. Manual dexterity of eye, hand/foot, good motor skill and depth perception are necessary when driving.
Other Minimum Qualifications: Demonstrated skills in project management and presentation development. Applied knowledge and skills in the areas of information technology (to include hardware, software, and audiovisual technical support), human anatomy and physiology, communications, team building, employee development, interpersonal relationship management, versatility and creativity, and system application of processes. Ability to prioritize work demands and work with minimal supervision.
Job Link: https://jobs.carilionclinic.org/job/Roanoke-Simulation-Lab-Education-Facilitator-VA-24016/1111726000/