Simulation Immersive Technology Educator
at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia
Seeking Breakthrough Makers
Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP)—named America’s 2022 Best Large Employer by Forbes—offers countless ways to change lives. Our diverse community of more than 20,000 Breakthrough Makers will inspire you to pursue passions, develop expertise, and drive innovation.
At CHOP, your experience is valued; your voice is heard; and your contributions make a difference for patients and families. Join us as we build on our promise to advance pediatric care—and your career.
CHOP’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
CHOP is committed to building an inclusive culture where employees feel a sense of belonging, connection, and community within their workplace. We are a team dedicated to fostering an environment that allows for all to be their authentic selves. We are focused on attracting, cultivating, and retaining diverse talent who can help us deliver on our mission to be a world leader in the advancement of healthcare for children.
We strongly encourage all candidates of diverse backgrounds and lived experiences to apply.
Working under limited supervision by the Simulation Center Program Manager, the Immersive Simulation Technology Educator will provide professional leadership and education with an emphasis on enhancing and integrating immersive technology throughout educational/simulation curriculum by designing, developing, implementing, supervising, evaluating, and coordinating of the various components; and promote best practices and effective use in education.
• Provides leadership in the development, management, coordination, and support of the integration of immersive technology into educational curriculum.
• Identify, plan, coordinate and facilitate meetings, project implementation teams, and interdepartmental planning to ensure effective use of immersive technology.
• Serves as an immersive technology expert/simulation expert/consultant in the field
• Manages the day-to-day tasks and roles of immersive technology
• Works in collaboration with the simulation staff and stakeholders to deliver high quality immersive technology and simulation-based education services.
• Maintains a two-way communication with Simulation Program Manager, Center staff and Simulation faculty to ensure needs from consults/inquiries for guidance/information through execution of simulation(s) and evaluation are met.
• Self-directed and motivated, requires little to no supervision and consults the Simulation Program Manager and other staff appropriately.
• Serves as a resource to CHOP and external entities/committees, work groups, and projects utilizing immersive and innovative technology.
• Provide project management and planning assistance for technology initiatives.
• Promotes innovative teaching and learning through staff and faculty professional development.
• Identifies and recruits internal and external resources for innovative activities.
• Facilitates team building and leadership development by working collaboratively with Center partners, including other CHOP departments, external education organizations, and vendors.
• Performs periodic analysis/reviews of programs and writing of summary reports on the quality of immersive-based education provided in the Center.
• Promotes cost effectiveness and demonstrates appropriate stewardship of Center and CHOP resources.
• In conjunction with Center Directors, develops policy and procedure to provide standardization in the daily operations of immersive activities.
• Coordinates and supports for simulation immersive technology and operations.
• Assists with the marketing, public affairs and communication needs of the immersive technology simulation program.
• Supports and assist with the short, intermediate, and long-term teaching, research, and operational goals of the simulation program.
• Serves a role model and advocate for patient safety and quality care.
• Aligns Center activities to support CHOP mission, values, and strategic pillars.
• Interprets and communicates across multiple disciplines/professions.
• Identifies and communicates discovery of latent conditions/threats, system issues, and performance concerns to appropriate CHOP leadership.
• Communicates and collaborates in a positive, professional manner with Center team, faculty, learners, and others using the services.
• Provide communication to Center Program Manager on facility, technology, equipment, operational and other needs identified for overall maintenance of the simulation program.
• Creates innovative ideas, evaluates new equipment, and identifies, communicates, and recommends opportunities for improvement/integration.
• Collaborates and communicates with the Center staff to develop and maintain appropriate materials and procedures for scheduling, administration and record keeping of immersive technology-based education.
• Teach content as needed or assigned within clinical expertise.
• Facilitates the adult learning process that creates safe and supportive learning environment which supports learning across the health care system.
• Demonstrates extraordinary expertise as a facilitator/debriefer in healthcare simulation.
• In union with subject matter experts, develop and support simulation-based curriculum in response to departmental and CHOP based educational, assessment, research, and process improvement initiatives for all level of learners.
• Based on a need’s assessment, creates, plan, test and implement scenarios with faculty, assuring there are clear, measurable objectives.
• Identify the appropriate simulation methodology and educational materials for the different levels and types of training, including the appropriate level objectives, materials, and evaluation tools.
• Operates and collaborates with simulation faculty and Center staff to conduct the simulation facilitator workshop on simulation design and debriefing.
• Facilitate briefing and post debriefing to maximize session learning outcomes.
• Creates, update and maintains shared electronic controlled documents, reference documents, program files and electronic document archive.
• Maintain and archive confidential simulation program records.
• Plans, prepares, and maintains materials for use in simulation courses for accuracy and relevance to the target audience.
• Program, test, and run scenarios with faculty/instructors to ensure the facility is set-up for learning sessions.
• Evaluates the effectiveness of simulation programs based on user recommendations and empirical findings.
• Evaluates and provides feedback to course directors/faculty instructors surrounding the simulation activity (ies) including but not limited to debriefing.
• Evaluates the learners’ experiences and collated feedback and distributes to faculty instructors/course directors as part of faculty/facilitator development.
• Develops short- and long-term planning and programs to meet identified institutional, departmental, and individual needs.
• Extensive experience with hardware/software platforms
• Experience with immersive technology such as, but not limited to
• Knowledge of AV hardware
• Understanding of VR related concepts such as proportional tracking, spatial audio etc.
• Understanding of VR and AR deployment environments, such as unity, XCode…
• Understanding of digital arts software such as Premiere Pro
• Serve as a liaison to interface with vendors to maintain, repair, and improve immersive and simulation technology.
• Evaluate immersive technologies and service with vendors for possible purchase.
• Maintains technical proficiency in the basic aspects of the operation, maintenance, and support of different immersive and simulation technologies including, but not limited to VR, AR, 360 Video, and 3D printing.
• Good diagnostic and technical troubleshooting skills.
• Manages and leads the development of new systems, applications, software conversions and upgrades in immersive technology.
• Develop and implement a maintenance plan to include troubleshooting, standard or preventive
maintenance, and supply acquisition.
• Plan and conduct professional learning in the use of immersive/innovative technology.
• Excellent organizational skills to effectively plan, prioritize, and organize work to achieve objectives or projects on time.
• Excellent customer service skills
• Engage in available opportunities to learn and maintain current developments and best practices in simulation including but not limited to - review of relevant journals, abstracts, and scientific literature in existing and emerging simulation technologies,
• Attend local, regional, and national meetings/conferences at the discretion of the manager.
• Collaborate with healthcare professionals and others to develop and conduct research into new techniques aimed at improving learning through technology integration.
• Assists with planning and execution of continuing education courses or other special courses.
• Serve as liaison to outside resources, including commercial vendors, educational entities, and other simulation centers.
• Flexible and adaptable, able to work occasional evening/weekends.
• Assists with or leads special projects/initiatives as needed.
• Perform other duties as assigned
Required Education & Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in healthcare, education, or related field (Interaction Design, Game Design, Software Engineering)
• At least five (5) years in simulation education required. Must have and maintain licensure or certification
Preferred Education & Experience
• Master’s degree preferred in healthcare, education, or related field (Interaction Design, Game Design, Software Engineering, to be obtained within 3 years)
• Project Management experience
• Customer service experience
• Virtual reality experience
Additional Technical Requirements
• Experience of teaching and/or demonstrating techniques related to VR, game development and A/V hardware and programming
• Experience in at least three of the following areas:
• VR, AR, or games development (e.g., Unity)
• Mobile app development (e.g., Xcode, Android Studio)
• Commercial A/V hardware
• 360 video post-production
• Sound design for games or entertainment
• 3D design, development, and printing
• Shared responsibility for safety of users and security of equipment in the working environment.
• Strong administrative, organizational and communication (both verbal and written) skills required
• Excellent problem solving and decision-making skills
• Ability to interact with co-workers in a professional and helpful manner
• Professional telephone etiquette
• Ability to deal effectively with senior level positions both internal and external entities
• Ability to balance multiple priorities
• Ability to work independently
• Working knowledge of computer systems and database setup/maintenance
• Research experience preferred
To carry out its mission, it is of critical importance for the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP) to keep our patients, families and workforce safe and healthy and to support the health of our global community. In keeping with this, CHOP has mandated all workforce members on site at any CHOP location for any portion of their time be vaccinated for COVID-19. This mandate also applies to workforce members performing work for CHOP at non-CHOP locations. The CHOP COVID-19 vaccine mandate is in alignment with applicable local, state and federal mandates.
CHOP also requires all workforce members who work in patient care buildings or who provide patient care to receive an annual influenza vaccine. Employees may request exemption consideration for CHOP vaccine requirements for valid religious and medical reasons.
Please note start dates may be delayed until candidates are fully immunized or valid exemption requests are reviewed. In addition, candidates other than those in positions with regularly scheduled hours in New Jersey, must attest to not using tobacco products.
EEO / VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Job Link: https://careers.chop.edu/job-invite/221331/?utm_source=nicheboard&utm_campaign=Tori_Healthysimulation.org_221331