Under the direction of the simulation director/manager/coordinator, the Instrumentation Specialist will provide technical and mechanical support for the College of Nursing simulation center and or labs. This position is a 12-month, full-time position, which maintains a dotted line report with campus Information Technology to ensure close communication and coordination.JOB DUTIES:
1. Maintains current knowledge of simulation/lab equipment.
2. Acts as system administrator for all simulation hardware and software and related peripherals. Responsible for installing software and hardware upgrades to all simulation related equipment. Works directly with vendors and UWO IT to ensure seamless integration of simulation equipment
3. Programs simulator software to model simulator's physiological response to instructor specifications. Understands the use and operation of different simulator technologies ranging from anatomic models and task trainers to screen-based simulations to full body patient simulators and virtual reality surgical simulators.
4. Operates patient simulators throughout the duration of simulations.
5. Operates and maintains audio-visual and debriefing systems.
6. Sets up and takes down simulation laboratory equipment. May involve rapid turnover of simulation lab set up.
7. Maintains and repairs all simulation equipment, including: Patient simulators, computers, monitors and a variety of medical equipment. Troubleshoots equipment malfunctions and contacts vendors as needed.
8. Collaborates with simulation director/manager/faculty coordinator to organize, maintain and restock skills lab and simulation laboratory supplies.
9. Provides technical support for task trainers and multimedia peripherals including: Beds/examination tables, headwalls, patient monitors, and other health care equipment, medication dispensing systems, and vital sign monitors.
10. Provides theatrical production (costuming and moulage) for simulation scenarios as requested. Assists with role-playing.
11. Provides technical assistance, support and training to faculty, instructors and staff in use of simulation equipment. Able to assess and troubleshoot equipment failures in a timely fashion.
12. Provides recommendations on equipment, supplies and materials.
13. Collects data for ongoing research or grant requirements.
14. Performs and maintains thorough documentation of weekly, monthly and annual maintenance on all simulation equipment and related peripherals.
15. Maintains simulation activities and learner confidentiality.
16. Performs other job-related duties as required.
17. Work with Information Technology to acquire and install digital audiovisual hardware and software systems to record simulated sessions with subsequent editing and transfer into an archival format for analysis.
18. Participate in technical training as necessary; attend conferences to stay current with simulation technology.
19. Train faculty and other Simulation Center staff in technical and operational aspects of simulation equipment. Required:
1. Associate degree in healthcare-related field and/or computer science is required.
2. Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and oral) to interact with and work effectively with other faculty, staff, students, and vendors in a positive, helpful and cooperative working relationship.
3. Experience with providing technical support in networking, computer hardware or software.
4. Mechanical skills to competently maintain and use equipment in the simulation center.
5. Organizational and time management skills to keep materials in order, track various projects, maintain files, and follow through assignments to completion.
6. Ability to maintain confidentiality of information.
7. Ability to quickly learn new technology
8. Availability to work evening/weekends.
9. Physical ability to lift, move, maintain and set up computer, audio-visual and simulation lab equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. without assistance.
10. Extensive experience in computer technology and troubleshooting.
1. Minimum of 2 years of experience in healthcare field and 1 year of electronic/ computer related experience.
2. Bachelor’s degree in healthcare-related field and/or computer science.
3. Clinical knowledge and experience working in a healthcare related field such as EMT, paramedic, or other allied health profession.
4. Knowledge of medical terminology and human anatomy/physiology.
5. Skills in operating a PC and Mac with experience in MS Office and the ability to learn additional software programs, including audiovisual and computerized simulation equipment.
6. Proficiency in MS software applications including MS Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint, Internet, and database use and able learn software and hardware quickly and independently.