Faculty – Simulation Educator – All Ranks (Non-Tenured)
Columbia University School of Nursing is seeking a Simulation Educator to provide clinical, educational and technical expertise in the development, implementation and evaluation of simulation-based activities in the Simulation Center for our new state-of-the-art building. The Simulation Educator will be responsible for working with faculty, students, staff, and external stakeholders to ensure the highest quality simulation learning activities are efficiently integrated and implemented across the undergraduate and graduate programs. The incumbent will receive a faculty appointment commensurate with credentials and qualifications.
Specific responsibilities of the Simulation Educator will include, but are not limited to:
- Collaborating with nursing faculty and other inter-professional faculty to develop simulation scenarios to promote student learning, critical thinking and clinical decision making.
- Coordinating and supervising students to ensure that lab experiences meet course objectives.
- Providing individual oversight to students for practice and/or remediation on technical skills as requested by faculty and students.
- Teaching simulation sessions as needed.
- Assisting with faculty development and training related to the use of simulation.
- Providing oversight for the coordination and scheduling of the use of the Simulation Center for regular classes, special simulation sections, open labs, advanced clinical skills sessions, clinical skills evaluations, and for other groups requesting lab space.
- Hiring, training and scheduling standardized patients for clinical encounters.
- Overseeing the collection of evaluation data on learning outcomes for simulation activities and collaborating with faculty to disseminate findings.
The selected incumbent must be willing to work evenings when necessary.
Minimum Degree Required: Doctoral Degree (PhD, DNSc, DNP, DrPH or equivalent)
- must be a Nurse Practitioner.
- 5+ years of clinical nursing experience.
- 2+ years of experience in conducting simulation-based learning.
- Proficiency in Microsoft software applications including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Effective training and teaching techniques adaptable to a variety of learning styles.
- Family, Adult, or Acute Care Nurse Practitioner preferred.
- Solid understanding of the principles of simulation.
- Effective planning, communication and organizational skills.
- Healthcare Simulation Educator certification from the Society for Simulation in Healthcare (SSH).
- 3+ years of teaching or precepting nursing students.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer --Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran.