New Book: Healthcare Simulation Program Builder
Today we share about a new work from CSA Founder KT Waxman and Simulation Champion Juli Maxworthy called Helathcare Simulation Program Builder, which “helps healthcare professionals who want to use simulation to improve orientation and preceptorships, build nurse competency, enhance nurse residency programs, and strengthen interprofessional communication across the entire healthcare team.” As part of the founding leadership to the Bay Area Simulation Collaborative, California Institute for Simulation in Healthcare, the California Simulation Alliance, and the University of San Francisco Master in Science Healthcare Simulation, KT brings a wealth of knowledge to your simulation program through this work.
About the Book:
Simulation is widely recognized as an efficient and effective way to help new nurses build the skills they need to become confident and competent practitioners. But many organizations think simulation training is out of their reach because they cannot afford the astronomically expensive simulation technology and labs with all the bells and whistles.
This first-of-its-kind book assists those who want to begin using simulation for training, but don’t know where to start. It discusses the theory around simulation, when to use different modalities, how to get buy-in, and how to measure results. It is the perfect curriculum builder and contains all the tools and templates you need to get started so you don’t have to create them yourself!
This book will:
- Explain the types of simulation, its educational principles, simulation technology, and the skills needed to launch a successful program
- Provide sample resources, including job descriptions, scenario templates, and video release forms
- Include examples from organizations around the country that are successfully using simulation
Table of Contents
- PART 1 What Is Healthcare Simulation?
- Simulation as a Teaching Methodology
- Learning Theories
- Phases of Healthcare Simulation Experience
- Faculty Development
- Preparing Educators
- Operationalization of Healthcare Simulation
- Management of Day-to-Day Simulation Operations
- Creating a Business Case for Simulation
- Building Simulation Alliances/Collaboratives
- Simulation as a Teaching Methodology
- PART 2 Sample Forms/Templates
- Scenario Development
- Job Descriptions
- Designing Simulation Space
- PART 3 Resources and Professional Development
- Healthcare Simulation Organizations
- Healthcare Simulation Practice Standards
- Evidence-Based Support for Healthcare Simulation
- PART 4 Key Terms and Acronyms
This book is intended for those who:
- Have been assigned as a simulation director and have not received any training
- Have been given a simulation mannequin and told to go forth and build a simulation program
- Are interested in learning about simulation but don’t know where to start
- Have no idea how to integrate simulation into their curriculum (regardless of the setting), but really want to try
About the Authors
KT Waxman, DNP, MBA, RN, CNL, CENP, CHSE, is a nurse leader with more than 30 years of experience in healthcare and corporate settings. She is a tenure-earning assistant professor at the University of San Francisco School of Nursing and Health Professions. She is also director of the California Simulation Alliance at the California Institute for Nursing & Health Care. An internationally known speaker and author, Waxman is past president of the Association of California Nurse Leaders and currently serves as treasurer of the American Organization of Nurse Executives.
Juli Maxworthy, DNP, MSN, MBA, RN, CNL, CPHQ, CPPS, brings nearly 30 years of nursing experience to her roles. Her last clinical position was vice president of quality and risk. She is a professor of nursing at the University of San Francisco School of Nursing.
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.