Patient Safety Awareness Week March 13-19 Important For Sim Champs To Support!
Did you know that simulation can reduce life threatening patient safety issues by as much as 85%?
One representative study, published by Northwestern University’s Feinberg School of Medicine, concluded that after medical residents participated in simulation training for a catheterization procedure, life-threatening patient infection rates dropped by 85% and produced an ultimate cost savings ratio of 7:1. (Cohen, E.R., et al. “Cost Savings From Reduced Catheter-Related Bloodstream Infection After Simulation-Based Education for Residents in a Medical Intensive Care Unit”. Simulation In Healthcare 5.2 (April 2010): 98-102.).
This year the Patient Safety Awareness Week organized by the National Patient Safety Foundation takes place March 13-19th, and there are a number of ways that you can get engaged. First and foremost is by following them on Linkedin, @theNPSF on Twitter, and on Facebook.
The United in Patient Safety campaign culminates each year with with Patient Safety Awareness Week, designed to mark a dedicated time and a platform to increase awareness about patient safety among health professionals and the public. This year, patient safety week is March 13-19. The National Patient Safety Foundation works to bring together and engage health care professionals and patients to help spread this important message.
There are a number of ways to get involved in Patient Safety Awareness Week.
- Wear a patient gown: Health care leaders and administrators are challenged to step into the role of the patient by wearing a patient gown to mark Patient Safety Awareness Week. “We are all patients, after all. We want leaders to demonstrate a commitment to listen to the patient’s voice and strive for patient safety and the reduction of harm.” – Tejal K. Gandhi, MD, MPH, CPPS, president and chief executive officer of NPSF
- Harness the power of social media: Help spread the word on Facebook and Twitter, using these helpful sample posts (or create your own).
- Utilize campaign materials: Various downloadable materials are available, as well items that can be ordered to help mark Patient Safety Awareness Week.
- Register on this campaign site: Stay connected and informed about Patient Safety Awareness Week activities.
- Join the discussion: Learn what others are doing for Patient Safety Awareness Week and share your ideas and activities to inspire others.
There are also more ways that both Healthcare consumers and healthcare providers can get engaged, all of which is linked on…
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.