SimGHOSTS 2015 USA Opens at Cedars-Sinai
This morning Dr. Julian Gold, Mayor of Beverly Hills and Co Chairman of the Department of Anesthesiology at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center opened SimGHOSTS 2015 USA at the Cedars-Sinai Women’s Guild Simulation Center. Dr. Gold reminded the audience that now and more so in the future, simulation is being seen as a necessary component of healthcare education and training. Julian welcomed the 200+ attendees to the hospital and the city, appreciating the audience for the work that they do every day to improve patient care.
Platinum Sponsor Level 3 Healthcare‘s CEO Brad Peterson introduced the keynote speaker Dr. Alistair Phillips, MD, FACC, FACS Co-Director, Congenital Heart Program Chief, Division of Congenital Heart Surgery Alistair Phillips, MD, is Co-Director of Cedars-Sinai’s Congenital Heart Program and the Chief of the Division of Congenital Heart Surgery within the Cedars-Sinai Heart Institute. He is board-certified in surgery, thoracic surgery and congenital heart surgery. Dr. Phillips spoke on “Bringing the ME into TEAM: Simulation, Syndaver and Team Confidence: Increasing Value”.
He asked the audience “What is confidence?” Its that quiet and assured feeling you have before you fall on your face. How do we prevent ourselves from falling on our faces in Healthcare. We are going to do that through training, and healthcare simulation technology specialists are at the center of that ongoing change. Dr. Phillips urged the community to find way to connect Quality control and data assessment back into simulation to improve the entry and retraining process of providers.
Alistair reminded the audience the needs of teamwork:
- Situational Aweareness and shared cognition
- Leadership to flatten the hierarchy
- Followership to report back
- Closed loop communication for acknowledgement
- Critical Language and standardized protocols
- Assertive communication for non-deferenial discussion
He recommended six C’s for successfully achieving teamwork: Communication, cooperation, coordination, cognition, conflict resolution, and coaching. All of these elements are achieved best in practice, through simulation, before an actual healthcare patient encounter.
20 vendors were in attendance for the event, the most any SimGHOSTS event has ever seen before! Gold sponsor Laerdal sponsored tomorrow’s plenary address Suzie Kardong-Edgren, CAE Healthcare sponsored the a/v recording of every major session, and Gaumard Scientific sponsored the SimGHOSTS Bug Busters competition.
Level 3 Healthcare also sponsored the opening reception which is taking place later tonight at funny “Terminator” show.
Over the next three days, over 70 specialized courses in healthcare simulation technology will be taking place across several disciplines. Some courses include
- “3-D Printing in Healthcare”: Turning CAT scans and MRIs into three-dimensional models of the heart, brain and other body parts
- “Moulage Skills”: Fabricating trauma injuries on Manikins, including lacerations, gunshot wounds, burns and compound fractures.
- “Fundamentals of Mold Making and Casting for the Sim Tech”: Learning techniques to make molds of arms or other body parts from silicone.