i-Human Patients Video Interview from IMSH 2015 – Virtual Patients Provide Obvious Educational Benefits
Continuing our video series from IMSH 2015, we take a look at i-Human Patients a Software As A Service (SAAS) that enables educators to provide realistic virtual patient encounters for healthcare students in a variety of disciplines. The software is very intuitive and easy to use — maximizing learning time on a variety of case statements. What’s important to remember here is that i-Human Patients adds an additional level of fidelity for your learners, as not all “simulation” needs to be accomplished through a high-fidelity manikin. While obviously the physical interaction and communication practices are better suited for the sim lab, the didactic reasoning and assessment “cognitive” practice opportunities can be repeated faster and with perhaps greater accuracy through a software platform like i-Human Patients (if for no other reason than the setup/teardown time of engaging with task trainers and manikins). Watch our video interview from IMSH 2015 to learn more:
About i-Human Patients:
Active learning is proven to be more effective than more passive approaches where much is done on behalf of the student. Educators can choose existing cases targeting different experience levels. They can also author their own cases using the i-Human Patients point-and-click authoring system and medical multimedia repository. The breadth and depth of possible cases provide a full and consistent quality education. The scalable, low-cost online technology enables rapid deployment within a school and across remote locations.
- Active, realistic learning
- Symptoms-based approach to diagnostic reasoning
- Individualized feedback and coaching
- Objective competency evaluation
- Point-and-click authoring system
- Rich medical multimedia repository
Cases: Database, Authoring and Sharing
- Large Variety Of Patient Cases Available – Over 100 published cases (M1-M4 class years) to select from including free “Share and Share Alike” cases and “Premium” cases sponsored by the AMA
- Point-And-Click Authoring System – Included so instructors can easily create their own cases
- Create & Share Derivative Works – Create & share derivative works under a Creative Commons “Share & Share Alike” license
i-Human Patients enables students to:
- take patient histories – learning what questions to ask, and how to interpret then follow-up on relevant findings
- take and assess vital signs
- select physical exams and interpret findings
- select and prioritize differential diagnoses
- order and associate tests with differential diagnoses, and interpret test findings
- develop treatment plans
- review and write patient records
- and get feedback and coaching at every step of the way!
One of the opportunities I appreciate most about i-Human Patient’s authoring platform is the ability to find and share created patient cases through the system itself. What a wonderful way for the participating community to work together towards better teaching outcomes. I hear you will be able to read reviews from current users of i-Human Patient (like Rush Medical Center, Rosalind Franklin University and Drexel University), shortly on Konsiderate.com – the new home for medical simulation product ratings and reviews, but more on that shortly.
Learn more about this Virtual Patient Software at the i-Human Patients website today!