SimX Offers Augmented Reality Medical Simulations Through META 1 Wearable System
*Jan. 2015 Update: Watch Our IMSH 2015 Serious Video Games Showcase Interview with SimX who won “best small business company”!*
‘The technology of medical simulation continues to rapidly evolve with a new announcement from Immersive wearable headset manufacturer Meta that their new “Meta 1” Augmented Reality goggles have recently started shipping. CNN says the Meta 1 “makes you a real life Tony Stark”. Below are some breakdowns about the hardware and software being developed specifically for medical simulations with a video demonstration recorded at TechCrunch: Disrupt. Augmented reality overlays 3d animations in real time over your physical envrionment. So in the photo above, SimX CMO Dr. Srihari Namperumal sees a virtual patient lying on the bed because of the QR code that is placed on the gurney surface. This provides learners with an opportunity to see virtual patients existing in real environments!
Key Features of the Meta 1 Device
- True Scale Holograms: See the physical and holographic worlds merge through our 3D stereoscopic display in real size, depth and parallax.
- Markerless Surface Tracking: Look around the room and watch as holographs stay anchored to physical tables, floors and walls – thanks to our low-latency, 360º tracking.
- Natural User Interface: Grab, pinch and touch 3D objects in the real world, and drive a touch-based holographic user interface.
Meta 1 Technical Specs:
- 3d “See Through” Display
- Resolution: 960 x 540 pixels (qHD)
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- FOV Expander Lens: 35 degree field of view
- Shade Lens: 23 degree field of view
- Depth Camera
- Resolution: 320×240 (QVGA) pixels 3D time-of-flight depth camera with Field of View (H x V x D): 74 x 58 x 87 degrees
- Frame Rate: 30fps
- Color Camera
- Resolution: 1280×720 (MJPEG)
- Field of View (H x V x D): 63.2 x 49.3 x 75.2
- Frame Rate: 30fps
- Depth Camera
- Head Tracking
- 360 degree tracking
- 9-axis Inertial Measurement Unit
- Accelerometer: ±16g
- Gyroscope: ±2000 degrees / sec
- Compass: ±1200 microTesla
- Dolby 3D audio
- Two built-in electret microphones
About SimX Augmented Reality Medical Simulation Software
“SimX’s software replaces your physical simulation mannequins with a customizable, high-definition, 3D virtual patient, that can be projected onto any empty hospital bed. Whether obese, pregnant, young, old, vomiting, missing limbs, bleeding, or expressing any number of other physical signs and symptoms, SimX’s software allows you to reproduce patient presentations with unprecedented visual fidelity.
Build complex cases in minutes using the powerful visual case building system. Drag & drop events onto the field, determine the environment, and set patient data with just a few clicks. Use SimX’s powerful case monitoring and feedback system to see the case from each trainee’s perspective, and adjust case paramaters on the fly. “
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.