Free Simulation Faculty Training Tools & Scenarios from UW
Today I am sharing a great free resource for clinical faculty of healthcare simulation programs put together by the University of Washington’s Health Sciences Interprofessional Education group with a grant from HRSA.
About UW’s Sim Center & Resource Website:
The University of Washington’s Center for Health Sciences Interprofessional Education, Research and Practice is dedicated to creating an atmosphere of openness and commitment to furthering collaboration between the different health care professions. The Center’s core faculty and staff are multidisciplinary health sciences faculty and clinicians from Dentistry, MEDEX, Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy who are passionate about advancing interprofessional communication to improve patient safety and quality improvement in healthcare.
This website is intended to be a resource for faculty and clinical educators and students. For faculty and clinical educators: Online modules teach the latest technologies and techniques for designing and enhancing an e-learning course, designing and implementing simulation in your curriculum, using telehealth to enhance communication, using informatics to manage and communicate data, learning team communication strategies and more. For students: Learn more about interprofessional learning and research opportunities at the University of Washington, including current courses, upcoming training activities, the University’s IHI Open School Chapter for patient safety and quality improvement, and the Center’s upcoming events.
Free Healthcare Simulation Faculty Toolkits Available Include:
- Interprofessional Simulation Team Training Faculty Toolkit
- Faculty Development IPE Training Toolkit
- Scenario Building and Library
- Tools for Evaluation
- Debriefing Tools
- HEET V Nursing Simulation Scenarios
Free Lessons on How to Teach with Medical Simulation:
- Sim 101: Introduction to Clinical Simulation
- Sim 102: Pedagogical Approaches in Simulation for Developing Critical Thinking
- Sim 103: Designing and Writing a Simulation Scenario
- Sim 104: Briefing and Debriefing—The Key to Learning in Simulation
- Sim 201: How to Evaluate Learning Using Simulation
- Sim 202: Matching Human Patient Simulators to Clinical Educational Outcomes
- Sim 203: Bringing Realism to Simulation
- Sim 204: Designing and Leading IPE Sessions
Additional resources include simulation publications, presentation slides, IPE specific content, dental program toolkits, e-learning toolkits and ultrasound toolkits.