Pronto Birthing Simulator Provides Developing Nations with Delivery Training
Yesterday At IMSH 2014, I met with Dilys Walker, MD – Executive Director of Pronto International and learned about this non profit organization’s valuable mission. PRONTO is an obstetric and neonatal emergency training program that leads inter-professional medical care teams through a series of skills stations, team-building activities, and low-tech, highly realistic simulations. Participants gain the knowledge and skills necessary for the immediate diagnosis, treatment and stabilization of obstetric emergencies in resource-limited settings through two innovative training modules.
Dilys explained to me that the organization provides affordable training birthing simulators such as the PRONTO and PRONTO Pants to developing nations to better support the health and care of mothers in labor. Pronto International aims to optimize care during birth. They develop and implement innovative training strategies for health care providers that act as a catalyst for individual, team, and system change. They accomplish their mission by:
• Providing low-cost, highly realistic obstetric and neonatal emergency simulation training for interprofessional teams in resource-limited settings around the world.
• Promoting kind, dignified, and culturally responsive care of women and babies through interactive training modules that facilitate group discussion and self-discovery.
• Assisting local teams in the diagnosis of system barriers and in identifying achievable strategies to improve patient safety and birth outcomes.
• Contributing expertise to the field of low-resource simulation and facilitated debriefing.
• Participating in implementation research to refine training modules that improve outcomes for mothers, babies and healthcare providers.
PRONTO can be used to help teams train on the following procedures:
- Normal Birth
- Shoulder Dystocia
- Post-partum Hemorrhage
- Birth of a Vigorous Infant
- Birth of a Non-Vigorous Infant
- Birth Complicated by Meconium
- Neonatal Resuscitation of an Infant with Meconium
- Infant Requiring Cardiac Compression
See the PRONTO Pants demonstrated in the clinical learning scenario below:
To donate, purchase or learn more about PRONTO International – visit http://www.prontointernational.org !
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Dr. Abigail Baily in Las Vegas, Nevada with their newborn daughter and two crazy dachshunds.