Healthcare Simulation Webinars for October 2022
The HealthySimulation.com webinar platform “LEARN” hosts a number of informative healthcare simulation webinars each month. These medical simulation presentations are designed to cover a range of topics related to clinical simulation, including education, training, and practice. In October 2022, a number of presentations will be given that discuss topics related to virtual reality use in clinical simulation labs, high-fidelity simulation scenarios, simulation medication training, and more. By registering to watch one or all of these webinars, simulationists, and learners have the opportunity to listen to and learn from various leaders across the clinical simulation industry.
10/5 @ 9AM PDT: Effective VR Sim Lab Integration Across Clinical Disciplines with Lumeto’s InvolveXR
Presented by Gerrad Fase, M.Ed., BSN, RN, CPN, CHSE, this one-hour, intermediate webinar discusses InvolveXR, a VR Sim Lab that enables easy and effective integration of immersive learning across programs and disciplines to enhance clinical learning by doing. Learning Pathways that can be easily integrated into both didactic and sim-based learning in your program, increasing the opportunities for learners to learn by exploring and doing, will be showcased. Participants will see examples of how institutions are using the platform across programs. Learning objectives include:
- Learn how effective VR-based training can be easily integrated into different programs and across the learning continuum with Lumeto’s InvolveXR.
- Get inspired by VR Learning Pathways that can be effectively integrated with and bring together didactic and sim-based learning.
- Learn more about the flexible capabilities that will enable educators to create their own learning experiences and pathways
10/5 @ 11AM PDT: Putting It All Together: Enhancing Realism in Clinical Simulation Scenarios
Presented by Penni Eggers, M.Ed, CHSE, this one-hour, intermediate webinar covers how to utilize clinical simulation equipment to create a high-fidelity scenario and enhance realism in simulation-based training. Eggers will demonstrate how to “put it all together” with the use of manikins, confederates, and an iSimulate with actual field clinicians, in an interactive, immersive environment. She will take participants through the pre-brief, they will watch the scenario play out, and see the debrief all in one immersive space. Learning objectives include:
- Identify challenges that make your current simulation space and/or scenarios as realistic as possible for learners.
- Understand how to best utilize your simulation equipment to bring all components of a simulation scenario together.
- Watch a high-fidelity simulation scenario play out in an immersive space and have Q&A time with leading experts in simulation training.
10/6 @ 10AM PDT: APRN Faculty and Advanced Nursing Simulation: Benchmarks and Barriers (1 Contact Hour of RN CE)
Presented by Shani Marks, AGACNP-BC, Ph.D. (c), CCRN, CHSE, this CE webinar presentation discusses the history and progress of simulation integration in Advanced Practice Nurse education and some challenges APRN faculty continue to face. This presentation provides an overview of the history of simulation in advanced practice nursing education, recent milestones in the area of simulation curriculum integration for APN educators as well as challenges that persist. Learning objectives include:
- Attendees will gain an understanding of the history of simulation integration in APN programs.
- Attendees will gain an understanding of new simulation guidelines in APN education.
- Attendees will gain an understanding of some of the challenges APN faculty encounter with regard to simulation integration in curricula for improved outcomes.
10/11 @ 11AM PDT: Trauma Simulators: What is the Right Manikin Fidelity for Us?
Presented by Daniel Irizarry, MD, TacMed’s medial simulation experts, and customers at EMS World will compare TMS’s moderate and high-fidelity trauma simulators against training needs. TMS instructors will be joined by current users to discuss how they are utilizing these capabilities to support law enforcement and other training. Special attention will be paid to the TMS rental program, making realistic trauma simulation available to a broad range of customers at affordable prices. The discussion will include mechanisms to fund capital investments in trauma simulation. Learning objectives include:
- Compare and contrast moderate-fidelity and high-fidelity trauma simulators.
- Understand how law enforcement and other users are utilizing these products in training today.
- Learn about the TMS rental program and other ways to increase access to quality trauma simulation.
10/12 @ 9AM PDT: Simulated Medication Management Training Solutions from Pocket Nurse
Presented by Beth Telesz, MSN, RN this one-hour, intermediate educational webinar provides a review of medication management educational and simulated training solutions that are available by Pocket Nurse. Learn how Pocket Nurse solutions can assist any school or program with finding not only the proper teaching tools, equipment, and supplies, but the best fit for each school to teach medication management solutions to healthcare learners at any educational level. Learning objectives include:
- The participant will be able to describe how Demo Dose Simulated Medications are utilized both with or without automated medication dispensing systems.
- The participant will be able to list 3 leading Automated Medication Dispensing Systems offered by Pocket Nurse.
- The participant will be prepared to describe 3 main purposes of Demo Dose Simulated Medications.
10/18 @ 12 PM PDT: Is Clinical Simulation Moving Into a Post Plastic Era with Wearable Simulators?
Presented by Amy Cowperthwait, CEO, RN, MSN, CNS, CHSE-A, the Avkin team will unveil a whole new level of clinical simulation fidelity with their newly released Elite Package wearable simulators for increased learning fidelity. The Elite Package includes all of the educational support your team will need to refine or initiate a formative standardized patient program and the full suite of Avkin wearable simulators. This one-hour, beginner webinar share more about how the technological advances of wearable simulators will lead to standardized, translational education for your learners. Learning objectives include:
- Appraise the challenges of manikin-based simulation.
- Analyze the benefits and limitations of hybrid simulation with the combination of wearable simulators and standardized patients (SPs).
- Evaluate how wearable simulators and standardized patients (SPs) can assist their program in providing consistent experiences to ensure learners can do.
10/19 @ 9 AM PDT: Using Custom Virtual Patients: Enhancing Experiential Student-led Simulated Learning
Presented by Jonathan Davies, MPharm, MRPharmS, FHEA, this one-hour, beginner webinar shares how the team at Liverpool John Moores University implemented immersive, student-led simulation events that could take place regardless of date, time and setting by creating custom virtual patients with PCS. Learning objectives include:
- Learn how digital patients can be integrated into a school’s curriculum.
- Learn how creating custom patient scenarios enhances a school’s curriculum.
- Learn how a school started a simulation lab from scratch.
10/25 @ 9 AM PDT: Implementing Learning Analytics in Virtual Patient Simulations
Presented by Andrew Corbett, Ph.D., this 1 Contact Hour of RN CE webinar will show how implementing learning analytics in virtual patient simulations can uncover clinical reasoning challenges faced by clinical students. First-year nurse practitioner and physician assistant students were presented with four simulated patient encounters in which they flagged pertinent findings. Data mining revealed a sub-group of students that did significantly poorer identifying pertinent findings, particularly negative findings.
Overall student performance was high, masking the existence of this sub-group. These results demonstrate the potential of learning analytics for uncovering clinical reasoning errors among healthcare students. While we utilized the xAPI standard, other options and platforms are available that require less technical expertise. Regardless of approach, it is essential to carefully design the data to be gathered and how it will be analyzed. Learning objectives include:
- Understand what learning analytics is and how it can be implemented in virtual patients.
- Recognize the potential of learning analytics for clinical education by exploring some preliminary results.
- Become familiar with technical options and challenges in implementing learning analytics.
More About HealthySimulation.com Webinars
HealthySimulation.com’s streamlined clinical simulation webinar platform relaunched in February, and has since featured even more informative and insightful healthcare simulation presentations! These webinars offer live and on-demand content from some of the world’s leading healthcare simulation experts, covering everything necessary to successfully start, develop or expand a clinical simulation program. Topics range from safe medication administration to moulage and manikin functions. Many HealthySimulation.com webinar presentations are recorded and viewable from anywhere at any time.
Learn More About Upcoming Clinical Simulation Webinars
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Dr. Abigail Baily in Las Vegas, Nevada with their newborn daughter and two crazy dachshunds.