Top 50 "Best Of 2012" Medical Simulation Articles
*Update: You can now also see the Top 50 of 2013 list here!*
Every year I review HealthySimulation.com‘s hundreds of posted articles to recap the “best-of” posts. Each one of these articles will help your healthcare simulation lab increase adoption, integration, operational efficiency, and realism! Here’s the link for this Top 50 Medical Simulation Articles of 2012 to easily forward it to your fellow simulation champions!
- Merica’s “Medical Moulage” is THE Moulage Book – Imagine over 630 pages of moulage recipes ranging from stings to prolapsed cords with detailed instructions for ingredients, equipment, application techniques and even cleanup! Check out my review of this key medical simulation book!
- Structure Collapse Simulator Constructed by Strategic Response Initiatives – By creating structures that simulate collapsed buildings, SRI is providing Search and Extraction Teams with Structure Collapse Venue Sites (SCVS) for training and evaluation.
- Streamlining Daily Sim Lab Operations – As the Director of the Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas I share some administrative secrets to help increase sim lab efficiency through specific meetings, training, documentation, scheduling, student workers, purchasing, and more.
- How to Share HealthySimulation With Your Fellow Champions! – Help us get the word out about this FREE support website by linking HealthySimulation.com on your medical simulation center webpage today!
- Professional Nurse Educators Group List-Serv – The Professional Nurse Educator Group (PNEG) is a virtual network of educators from all over the United States that are dedicated the lifelong learning of professional nurses. This network is open to all educators in the field.
- Medical Simulation Books – Key Medical simulation books that cover topics ranging from nursing scenario development, curriculum integration, collaborative simulation program development, day-to-day operations, administration, moulage creation, types of manikin products available, lab design and much much more!
- Simulation Lab Administrator Conference Video Content Now Available for Purchase – Now you can gain access to over 15 hours of HD-recorded content specifically addressing the needs of medical simulation program administrators at HealthySimAdmin.com! This community-support project was produced with support from the UNLV School of Nursing as well as Official Sponsors Laerdal, B-Line Medical & Pocket Nurse!
- Kaiser Permanente Sim Team creates Simman 3G Operations Manual – AWESOME user-created manual for the Simman 3G from Kaiser Permanente’s California based simulation team Dr. Mark Meyer, MD FAAEM and Regional Simulation Coordinator and Technician Darin Bowers MA.
- How to Increase Lab Staff without Increased Budgets – Imagine having four extra staff members to help with the hands-on work necessary to make a special event run smoothly, or additional sim techs to help run multiple labs at the same time. Expanding your medical simulation staff support can be easier and more affordable than you think.
- TOM Man – Tactical Operations Medical Manikin Review – Techline Technologies and Innovative Tactical Technology Solutions have combined forces to bring you TOM Man, the Tactical Operations Medical Manikin, which I had the opportunity to review in the 106 degree Las Vegas desert heat.
- Top 5 Questions I Am Asked About Managing a Medical Simulation Program – All the regular questions administrators of medical simulation based programs ask HealthySimulation.com. (Part 1 of a 2 part series).
- Top 5 Questions I Should Be Asked About Managing a Medical Simulation Program – Learn the answers to the questions sim lab administrators should be asking! (Part 2 of 2 part series).
- Healthstream’s SimView “A/V Capturing” – Video interview about the new audiovisual capture and management hardware & software packages system.
- Laerdal’s SimPad “Mid-Fidelity Control” Demo – In depth video demonstration highlighting features of Laerdal’s new SimPad product.
- Sim Tech Series – The Profession of Nursing – This article is part of a series of HealthySimulation.com posts written by Nursing Educator Kim Baily for Healthcare Simulation Technology specialists (Sim Techs) who may have plenty of IT experience but little or no experience in the healthcare field. The articles cover various topics such as understanding healthcare professions, theories that govern practice and basic physiology.
- New York Institute of Tech. Offers First Simulation Masters Program in U.S. – The New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of the New York Institute of Technology have unveiled the first U.S. based Masters program that focuses on Medical Simulation!
- More Free Nursing Simulation Scenarios & Additional Free Nursing Simulation Scenarios – Two more resources for FREE medical simulation scenarios to add to my previous articles.
- Pocket Nurse @ HealthySimAdmin – Pocket Nurse® continued its support of the medical simulation community with an official medical supplies sponsorship of HealthySimAdmin – a meeting for sim lab managers. During the event, Corporate Relations Director Deborah Coltrane MBA, MSN interviewed panel expert Dr. Kim Baily PhD, RN learning why her community college ADN program utilizes Pocket Nurse® Demo Dose® products.
- SynDaver Animae Prototype Synthetic Tissue Cadaver – The $50,000 synthetic human “Animae is the first animated model from our award-winning SynDaver™ Synthetic Human (SSH) product line. The model includes standard SSH funtionality, as well as the ability to control motion of the arms, legs, head and jaw using a separate control panel.
- Anthony Battaglia Pocket Nurse Scholarship to Attend INACSL – Each year, four non-transferable scholarships are made available through a generous donation from Pocket Nurse® to support attendance at the annual INACSL conference.
- Patient Simulation, Science and High Schoolers – Akram Bhatti, Simulation Technologist and Educator wrote in to HealthySimulation.com to share the partnership opportunities his Simulation Center at Gannon University coordinated with local high schools. Christian Chapa, Science Teacher Charter School of Excellence also contributed to this article.
- B-Line Medical Interviews Amar Patel @ HealthySimAdmin – B-Line’s Sandy Yin learns why Amar Patel participated in HealthySimAdmin, a meeting specifically for healthcare simulation lab program administrators and why tracking data is so crucial for medical simulation program success. Watch this video to learn more about the types of data your center should be tracking and how.
- What should we pay Standardized Patients? – Gigi Guizado, SP Coordinator for the University of Nevada School of Medicine who works at the Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas wrote in to answer a community-asked question “What should we pay standardized patients?”
- CAE Healthcare Acquires Blue Phantom – The Blue Phantom acquisition enables CAE to expand its healthcare simulation business by integrating tissue-based simulation into its product offerings as well as enhancing its world-class human patient simulators, including its VIMEDIX™ line of computer based ultrasound simulators.
- How to Make Fake Blood – Contrast Creative shares this online video tutorial for how to make simulated blood for your medical simulations.
- What Can Medical Simulation Learn from Scuba Diving? – Learn how professional diving groups have created certified training programs which rely heavily on simulation to provide novice adventurers with the tools necessary to enjoy the world’s oceans safely and successfully – and what our medical simulation community can learn from scuba diving.
- NLN’s SIRC Sim Center Directory – The National League for Nursing (NLN)’s Simulation Innovation Resource Center (SIRC) has a robust directory of simulation centers around the World!
- Over 105 Medical Simulation Program Administrators Participate in HealthySimAdmin Opening – In October, over 105 medical simulation program administrators from around the globe participated online or in-person for the opening session of HealthySimAdmin – the world’s first broadcasted event designed to provide an open discussion to find administrative solutions for the “how to” of medical simulation.
- Foam Adds Professionalism to Crash Carts – Consider the additional benefit of customized foam layouts for your medical simulation lab crash carts!
- Medical Simulation Staff Needs & Program Development | Recorded Webinar – Topics covered for this medical simulation consulting live-video-stream webinar include: Overcoming the challenges of being a medical simulation program administrator, new resources, collaborative program development, increasing utilization, policy development and more.
- Simulation Monitor iPhone App – UK’s Simulation Monitor suggests their app is a great learning tool for undergrad exams, OSCE post-grad exams, and ALS/ATLS/APLS courses which costs far less than an expensive high-fidelity manikin monitor.
- iSimulate ALSi Patient Vitals iPad Software – iSimulate unveiled their new product software for the iPad called ALSi, which allows for patient vital sign presentation.
- HealthStream — Helping You Use Simulation to Solve Some of Healthcare’s Big Problems – HealthStream is dedicated to improving patient and financial outcomes. Through their flagship learning management system, network of content providers, talent management systems, and now simulation solutions, they focus exclusively on providing solutions to meet today’s ever growing challenges in healthcare.
- AAMI Provides Article on Growing Field of Medical Simulation – The Advancement of Medical Instrumentation published a robust article on the growing field of medical simulation entitled “More Than Make Believe: The Power and Promise of Simulation”, which featured HealthySimulation.com!
- Has Your Sim Lab Program Considered Technology Refresh Cycles? – Watch this brief intro video to learn what a technology refresh cycle is and how your program can begin to develop external contracts to provide the ongoing revenue necessary to support your long-term medical simulation lab needs.
- SimGHOSTS 2012 DIY Video Contest Winners – At the 2012 Gathering of Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialists (SimGHOSTS) hands-on training event, Laerdal awarded two prizes for the “DIY Project Video Contest”! Fritz Sticht from Behling Simulation Center at the University of Buffalo and Brian Florek from Northwestern University’s Fieberg School of Medicine Sim Center won big at SimGhosts 2012!
- University of Glamorgan Shares Online ECG Simulator – Virtual ECG is an online, interactive simulation for teaching/training accurate recording of electrocardiographs (ECG/EKG).
- Sim Tech Extends Demo Dose Box Life – Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialist Christopher J Gatpandan fromWest Coast University – Ontario shared an amazing tip for increasing the lifespan of your Pocket Nurse ® Demo Dose ® boxes with theSimGhosts.Org Sim Tech community.
- Thoughts on Hiring a Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialist – One Sim Tech’s view on what qualifications are necessary for the position of healthcare simulation technology specialist.
- Gaumard Releases New Mid-Level Noelle 554 – This mid-range Noelle costs less than the flagship 575 series model but still has most of the same functionality including the birthing mechanism, automated hemorrhaging, pulses and more.
- FDA uses Manikin to Demonstrate Medical Device Errors – FDA utilizes manikins & pictures to provide great detailed are so well done I thought it might give you ideas for your medical simulation and skills lab courses! Photos like this can help learners, faculty or staff remember key details for manikin setups.
- Sim Lab Control: Creating Order Out of Cord Chaos – Increase sim lab workspace and look a lot more professional!
- USC Institute for Creative Technology creates PTSD Treatment Simulator – Utilizing a controller and virtual reality helmet while engaging in a customizable scenario, combat veteran’s can work through traumatic events in a controlled and safe environment.
- AFMMAST @ IMSH – The Air Force Medical Modeling and Simulation Training team was on-hand in the Military Expo at IMSH this year to let attendees know about their mission. More IMSH 2012 Vendor Video Interviews:
- Med World Live Provides Video Streaming Solutions – What is unique about Med World Live is the ability for your end-users to control their camera perspective in real-time for enhanced learning, from anywhere in the world.
- Medical Simulation Corporation Interview – Medical Simulation Corporation was present at IMSH 2012 demonstrating their line of SimSuite products and services through their mobile simulation lab!
- Smooth-On.Com Moulage at IMSH – Expert explains how creating molds for your Simulation lab helps save time for those high-use moulage castings.
- Pocket Nurse ® at IMSH 2012 – By providing medical supplies and equipment that are specifically designed to enhance simulated healthcare learning, Pocket Nurse ® has helped to provide solutions for our emerging community.
- Operative Experience Provides Realistic Surgical Simulator – I was really impressed with the level of realism inherit with the Operative Experience surgery simulator product line.
- CAE Healthcare METI at IMSH 2012 – At IMSH, I spoke with Regional Sales Director Brian Donohue about what the CAE Healthcare & METI merger means for the medical simulation community as well as what we can expect from CAE Healthcare in 2012.
To make sure you don’t miss any amazing articles for 2013, be sure to sign up for our monthly newsletter – highlighting all the best from HealthySimulation.com!
Finally, check out the Best of 2011 & Best of 2010 HealthySimulation.com Articles for more great content!
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.