Kaplan’s i-Human Patients Helps Nursing Students Build Diagnostic Competency & Clinical Judgment
Developing clinical judgement in nursing students requires more than the randomness of clinical practice. In other words, the only way to guarantee nursing students will experience the specific patient cases necessary to develop clinical judgement is through clinical simulation scenarios. Finding affordable ways of augmenting time beyond expensive-to-use simulation labs is a challenge in itself — which is why today we are taking another look at Kaplan’s i-Human Patients platform. i-Human Patients provides virtual clinical simulations for undergraduate nursing students, supplementing clinical time and simulation lab experience with safe, inexpensive, and repeatable virtual client encounters — like a Sim Lab, but available 24/7!
Today we learn how virtual simulation with i-Human Patients can help students master the clinical judgment skills necessary for success on the Next-Generation NCLEX. i-Human Patients is a cloud-based program that simulates a complete client encounter— from taking a history and performing a physical exam, to documenting findings and prioritizing actions. It allows nursing schools to It is completely aligned with Next Generation NCLEX and the clinical judgment model theorized by the NCSBN.
Since 2013, i-Human Patients has been providing virtual clinical encounters to medical, graduate nursing, and physician assistant students. And just this year, cases are now available for undergraduate nursing students!
Take a look at how i-Human Patients virtual simulation offers students more opportunities to practice and master the clinical judgment skills necessary for success on the Next-Generation NCLEX through the video below:
i-Human Patients Provides For:
- Safe Environment: Healthcare Simulation removes the risks, allowing students to learn by making mistakes.
- Repeatable Encounters: Standardized, repeatable client encounters offers students the benefit of repetition.
- Feedback & Remediation: Continual progress reports prepare students for psychomotor clinical simulation and working with live clients.
- 24×7 Availability: On-demand practice with virtual clients is available to students through the mobile app.
- Enhanced Clinical Thinking: The immersive experience encourages critical thinking and promotes improved client outcomes.
Virtual patient encounter simulations give healthcare students realistic clinical experience and help hone their cognitive clinical skills. Detailed reporting captures performance and competency data, which is helpful to faculty as well. Practicing and improving clinical skills with virtual simulation can be woven seamlessly into your curriculum and conveniently into every student’s schedule.
i-Human Patients Also Available for Other Healthcare Disciplines
- Medical Cases: Give medical students access to hundreds of cases to hone their review, examination, diagnosis, and documentation skills.
- Physician Assistant Cases: Students can practice clinical judgment skills in a safe environment with repeatable encounters.
- Graduate Nursing Cases: Configured specifically for Graduate Nursing students, simulated cases prepare them to succeed on their clinical exams.
- Undergraduate Nursing Cases: Next Generation NCLEX aligned decision making model prepares students to think like nurses.
Standardized, Automated Assessments
Students can be assigned cases individually, in a lecture, a flipped classroom or in a team-based learning environment. i-Human tracks every click, and every decision the student documents and provides them with instant, expert feedback along the way. Faculty and administrators can reduce grading, and simply access performance reports to pinpoint gaps in curriculum and identify at-risk students.
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and current Chairman of the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.