2nd Annual Healthcare Simulation Week 2018 Celebrates Sim Champs Like You!
Healthcare Simulation Week celebrates global professionals like you who use simulation to improve the safety, effectiveness, and efficiency of healthcare delivery. This week also raises awareness in communities nationwide about how healthcare simulation is leading us to safer, more knowledgeable patient care. Isn’t this featured image from the Sentara Center for Simulation and Immersive Learning at Eastern Virginia Medical School great? Follow along on the social media tag: #HcSimWeek18 and check out the list of just some of the planned support activities from the week previously announced. Here at HealthySim we are celebrating you by offering a chance to win a $599 Moulage Kit from Moulage Concepts, and two copies of Bobbie Merica’s world famous book “Medical Moulage” (details below). Do you have an awesome Healthcare Simulation Week Resource to share, leave us a comment below and we will be sure to add it to the page listings!
*Special HealthySimulation.com Content*
To celebrate #HcSimWeek18 HealthySim partnered with MoulageConcepts.com to host a contest to Win a $599 Moulage Kit! You can also enter to win a copy of “Medical Moulage: How to Make Your Simulations Come Alive”, by retweeting this announcement and sharing this Facebook Message! Healthcare Simulation Week 2018 is upon us Sim Champs! To celebrate this year and to help launch our new resource website Careers in Healthcare, HealthySim has partnered with Moulage Concepts to offer you an amazing opportunity to support and celebrate Healthcare Simulation, and with the best contest prize ever: a $599 Deluxe Moulage Kit! Show your support and help us spread the word about the future of healthcare career training with simulation, all while entering a chance to win the biggest prize ever, given out the last day of Healthcare Simulation Week 2018! Prizes will be announced on Friday 9/21 so hurry!
Then, to catch up with all the latest Healthcare Simulation most read content from Summer, be sure to check out our “Top 18 Healthcare Simulation Articles of Summer 2018!“. Here you will find the most read content from our free website and bimonthly email newsletter, including special considerations for pediatric simulations, Sim Tech tutorials, new patient safety documentaries, competency-based medical education, Healthcare Simulation Week contests, effective debriefing tips, key global industry news updates, debunked learning styles, policy and procedures guidelines, top community simulation videos, upcoming courses and more! Be sure to share this helpful recap with your simulation colleagues!
Of course, all this week HealthySim will also be linking to key healthcare simulation content here on the website and through our social media channels. Stay connected to all the latest resources by following us on Facebook @HealthySim, Twitter @HealthySim, and our Linkedin HealthySim Group!
About Healthcare Simulation Week 2018
During the work week of September 17 – 21, 2018 join the global simulation community to celebrate the professionals who improve the safety, effectiveness and quality of healthcare services every day. Healthcare Simulation Week celebrates global professionals like you who use simulation to improve the safety, effectiveness, and efficiency of healthcare delivery. This week also raises awareness in communities nationwide about how healthcare simulation is leading us to safer, more knowledgeable patient care.
Monday, September 17, 2018
- Facebook Live: 11:00 – 11:30 AM EST: STRATUS Center for Medical Simulation – Join us for a live tour of STRATUS Center for Medical Simulation at Brigham and Women’s Hospital / Harvard Medical School in Boston where we’ll explore our bustling center, step outside of this world and into our NASA simulator, and meet the all-star team behind the center’s success!
- Facebook Live, 4:00 – 4:30 PM EST: Operational Infrastructure: Practical considerations that will enhance the likelihood of creating and sustaining a successful simulation center. Speaker: Charles Pozner, MD Executive Director Neil and Elise Wallace STRATUS Center for Medical Simulation. Your CMO and CEO ask you to lead the creation of a healthcare simulation center for your 500-bed academic medical center. They are essentially clueless about what it takes to build, equip, and operate a simulation center. You have been eager to do this for years and have already performed a needs assessment in anticipation of this day. You know the layout and equipment that will meet the needs of your institution. The CEO and the CMO inform you that they are providing space and remodeling costs in the “old ED” and that you will have $1.5 mil. to equip the center. As they walk toward the door, your emerge from your elation, and stop them to ask, “what will our annual budget be to operate the center?”
Tuesday, September 18, 2018
- INACSL Live Webinar: Open Access Virtual Gaming Simulations for Nursing Education September 18, 2018, 3:30pm EDT Join speaker Margaret Verkuyl for this live webinar on September 18th at 3:30pm EDT as she discusses the use of virtual gaming simulations. In this webinar, participants will learn to: -Understand the development and assessment of virtual gaming simulations -Increase their understanding of ways to use virtual gaming simulations to meet learning outcomes – Experience playing up to five virtual gaming solutions Register here!
- Facebook Live: 11:00 – 11:30 AM EST Leading in Simulation, Formally and Informally Speaker: SSH President-elect KT Waxman DNP, MBA, RN, CNL, CENP, CHSE, FSSH, FAAN, Associate Professor, University of San Francisco Director, California Simulation Alliance. Join us for a discussion on how you can get involved as a leader in your organization. We’ll provide examples of leadership, both formal and informal and share examples of leadership success stories. You’ll take away several leadership strategies you can immediately apply.
- Facebook Tour: 2:00 PM EST: Facebook Live Q&A: 2:15 PM EST. Center for Medical Simulation: Sit down with Center for Medical Simulation faculty, including CMS Executive Director Jenny Rudolph, for a Virtual Tour of our simulation center.
Wednesday, September 19, 2018
- Facebook Live: 12:30 – 1:00 PM EST: Principles of Ethics for Healthcare Simulationists: Join us to Discuss a Work in Progress! Speaker: Christine Park, MD Professor of Anesthesiology and Medical Education. Immediate Past President, Society for Simulation in Healthcare. Healthcare simulation has evolved from a tool to what is now a full-fledged professional practice. One of the critical milestones in the maturation of a profession is the development of a Code of Ethics. In January 2018, healthcare simulationist delegates from around the globe, representing multiple modalities, simulation societies, industry colleagues, and cultures gathered at a Summit with the aspirational goal of creating a unifying Code of Ethics for Healthcare Simulationists. In this session, we will discuss the work to date of the group, update you on the Code’s current status and content, and seek your opinions and input.”
- Twitter Journal Chat: 5:00-6:00 PM EST Facilitator: Ankeet Udani, MD, MSEd Duke University School of Medicine, Department of Anesthesiology. Join us for a discussion about the article: Establishing a Virtual Community of Practice in Simulation: The Value of Social Media. Simulation in Healthcare: 13(2):124-130, April 2018. Authors: Thomas, Brent; Brazil, Victoria; Spurr, Jesse and more.
- Facebook Live: 0700 – 0730 Aust Western Time. Creating Sustainable Simulation Programs; a Rural and Remote Perspective. Speaker: Kirsty FreemanMeeting the educational needs of the rural and remote healthcare workforce presents many challenges often overlooked by those working in metropolitan sites. This session will discuss some of the common hurdles experienced by those delivering simulation-based training in rural and remote locations, such as equipment, staffing, logistics and leadership.
Thursday, September 20, 2018
- Webinar: Certification 12:00 – 1:00 PM EST Speaker: Sharon Decker. Have you been thinking about pursuing certification? Wondering what it will do for you professionally? Well it’s time to get serious about it! Certification distinguishes you as an experienced, dedicated professional who wants to be the best in healthcare simulation. Join us for this informational webinar about the three options offered by SSH: Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) Certified Healthcare Simulation Operations Specialist (CHSOS) Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator-Advanced (CHSE-A) We’ll cover the ins and outs of certification, studying for the exam, and more! SOLD OUT.
- Webinar: Certification 1:00 – 2:00 PM EST. Speaker: Sharon Decker. Same as above. Register here.
- Facebook Tour: 3:00 pm EST. UAB School of Nursing Center Tour. See the new state-of-the-art UAB School of Nursing Competency Suites and their capabilities during a 360 virtual tour and meet the team that creates leading edge educational simulations for nursing education and professional development.
Friday, September 21, 2018
- Facebook Live: 12:00 – 12:30 PM EST: Performance Assessment: Documenting the Value of Simulation Facilitated Programs. Speaker: Pamela Andreatta, Professor, Human Performance Research in Medicine, Surgery, and Health Professions, University of Central Florida. The cornerstone of any educational program evaluation is the measured impact of the program on associated performance outcomes. The science of performance assessment is complex; understanding the basics will help you select optimal assessment resources for your program and begin capturing relevant data that demonstrates value. This discussion reviews how performance assessment optimally documents the impact of simulation programs on practitioner development, patient outcomes, quality, safety initiatives, cost of care, and organizational effectiveness in the provision of health services.
- Webinar: SSH Accreditation Top 10, 3:00 -4:00 PM EST Speaker: Kristyn Gadlage, Director, Accreditation, SSH. Join us for a webinar where we will discuss the top 10 things you need to know about SSH Accreditation. We’ll review how to apply for accreditation, reasons to become accredited, a detailed look at the accreditation standards and much more. You’ll walk away with everything you need to know about becoming an SSH Accreditation Program.
Other Simulation Events This Week Around the World
Healthcare Simulation Week 2018 Youtube Contest: In these one minute amatuer videos, champions share what clinical simulation means to them and their organization, why they work in sim, what they do and how it helps improve quality in healthcare. After viewing each video, please vote for your favorite. Only one vote per device please. Vote here!
Bridging the Gap: Using Interprofessional Simulation to Help Train Health Provider by Dr. Christopher Kowalski, MA (Cantab), MBBS, MRCPsych, FHEA, at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. ” June, I had the pleasure of working with the Medical Psychiatry Alliance’s (MPA) simulation team at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH), to adapt a training course that I had developed in the U.K. for a Canadian audience. My original course, which had the somewhat unattractive name of SWAMPI-CYP (Simulation Workshop at the Mental-Physical Interface—Child and Young People), was designed to help those working with young people who have both physical and mental health needs to feel more capable of doing this kind of work. It was a unique course in that it was designed to replicate interprofessional working around such cases, as well as replicating the cases themselves.”
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.