LifeLike BioTissue Offers Simulated ‘Live Tissue’ Surgical Trainers
Increasingly, infectious control and ethical regulations are prohibiting biologic tissue in surgical skills simulation for many healthcare institutions. LifeLike BioTissue, a Canadian manufacturer supplying the world with synthetic human tissue models is responding to this need for replacement tissues with life like products that are made with a proprietary and patented, non-toxic, odorless material which can be customized and formed into models for high fidelity surgical and procedural simulation. The completely synthetic “LifeLike” tissue provides a trouble-free alternative to biologic tissue, as it needs no refrigeration or thawing issues, which can easily be disposed of unlike biological waste. Best of all, these tissue models are not limited to lab use only as they can be used in a classroom or even as take home projects!
LifeLike BioTissue Inc. is an Ontario-based company that develops a growing suite of products that have the same mechanical properties as live tissue, products that are ideal for the acquisition, training, and practice of basic and procedural surgical skills. The company launched in 2009 and its technology has been used in surgical skills labs in more than 50 training hospitals across Canada, the United States and Europe. The technology continues to grow and be acknowledged by leading surgeons as excellent training tools.
Besides ease of use, the real differentiator of LifeLike models is the feel of the tissue. Leo Millon PhD, CEO suggested to us that, “LifeLike BioTissue’s global customers tell us consistently that our tissue models are the closest thing they have found to real human anatomy and lifelike feel. Our tag-line of “Feels Real” was chosen because that’s the first thing many people say when they work with our products”.
Products Available from LifeLike BioTissue
- Blood Vessels and Conduits Example: LifeLike BioTissue offers a variety of conduits in different diameters, wall thicknesses and materials. Use the chart on their website to select the perfect conduit for your application.
- Plastic & General Surgery Example: The New VI Box is the most innovative, affordable, portable, easy to use, and versatile wet lab box on the market. When used with the LifeLike Embedded Femoral Arteries, Embedded Veins or Embedded Carotid Arteries Pad, you can now train on ultrasound, dissection, and vessel exposure.
- Vascular Surgery Example: The LifeLike Femoral Artery feels, sutures and behaves like real live tissue and is available in Small (5 mm ID), Medium (8.5 mm ID) and Large (10 mm ID), and with ‘Plaque’ to simulate atherosclerosis in the artery.
- Cardiac Surgery Example: The LifeLike Saphenous Vein feels, sutures and behaves like real live tissue and is available in Extra Small (3 mm ID), Small (4 mm ID) and Large (6 mm ID) sizes.
- OBGYN & Urology Example: The LifeLike Vaginal Cuff cuts, sutures and behaves like real tissue. An ideal solution for vaginal cuff closure skills training under the laparoscopic box. The Vaginal Cuff is available in either 2″ or 6″ long sections.
“Hearing the voice of the customer is important to us as we move forward” Greg Jamieson, Director of Sales for LifeLike BioTissue told HealthySim writers. “Our simulation customers are helping us push the boundaries of high-fidelity simulation. Watch for developments especially in our micro-surgery and reconstructive surgical models”. The company expects to release at least 5 new models over by the end of 2018 to enhance their already impressive inventory of cardiac, vascular, general, OB/Gyn, urology and plastic surgery models.