Simulab Replicates Human Anatomy for Realistic Healthcare Simulation Training
For over 23 years, Simulab has manufactured realistic human anatomy trainers for high-fidelity realistic healthcare simulated training. Today we take a look at some of Simulab’s key products to demonstrate their dedication to realistic procedure learning with affordable trainers for a dynamic range of learners. With continued efforts towards improving patient safety and healthcare education, Seattle-based Simulab continues to develop new medical task trainers and patient simulations including a complete line of partial task trainers. We’ve also embedded a few of our exclusive video demonstrations here as well to help you see them in action!
TraumaMan is an extendable surgical platform that allows instructors and students to explore a wide variety of procedures under realistic settings as well as to build communication and trauma team experience. Use TraumaMan alone; or add one of numerous extensions to bring your simulation to the next level. Ernest Wang MD of NorthShore University Health System shares that “TraumaMan has been a mainstay of our ICEP Emergent Procedures Course, our EM house staff and student courses, and our recent ACEP Simulation-Based Immersive Medical (SIM) Training Course. Highly recommend!”.
The TraumaMan System is the most widely used surgical simulator in the world. Over 375,000 clinicians in 40 countries have completed advanced surgical training using TraumaMan over the product’s rich history. That’s roughly 40,000 medical professionals every year. Since its release, TraumaMan is found and used often in Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) courses, military courses, Emergency Medical Support (EMS) Training and other trauma surgery and emergency life support simulations. TraumaMan allows you to practice a wide variety of advanced surgical procedures including Tracheostomy, Pericardiocentesis, and Diagnostic Peritoneal Lavage to name a few.
- Anatomically correct surgical simulator with all the pertinent landmarks for each procedure
- The realistic body form skin and replaceable tissues have the highest fidelity touch and dissection of any simulated tissue available today
- Realistic, bleeding tissues add to suspension of disbelief, enhancing the simulation
- Training with TraumaMan is systematic, so that each student gets the same learning points with more repetition than is possible with animals or cadavers
- TraumaMan is the most flexible training platform available for advanced trauma training – it can be combined with high fidelity simulators to run scenarios in team training situations.
- Available for purchase, rent or lease — and also available for pediatrics with the seperate “TraumaChild” trainer.
CentraLineMan is an anatomically correct, clinically relevant Central Venous Catheterization training solution that now comes with time-tested, ultrasound compatible tissue variations so life-like you can feel the palpable differences. This flexible system offers unsurpassed value with clinically relevant anatomy, time-tested ultrasound compatible tissues that maintain visual acuity, market leading durability from needle sticks to full catheterizations all with the ability to interchange the Articulating Head, Body Form Base and Tissues with many of Simulab’s other procedural task trainers.
Central Line Skill Development
- Practice full central venous catheterization using ultrasound guided or blind/landmark insertion approaches at the subclavian, supraclavicular, and internal jugular access sites.
- Practice placing patient in appropriate position per access site standards
- Gain experience in identifying and selecting appropriate access site based on patient anatomical variations
- Practice use of ultrasound for:
- Developing psychomotor skills required for obtaining visualization during cannulation
- Detecting anatomical variations
- Distinguishing vessels
- Visualizing arterial pulse and venous compression
- Identifying anatomical location of target vessel
- Visualizing needle cannulation of target vessel in transverse view
- Visualize threading of guidewire in longitudinal axis view
- Visualizing catheter placement
- Reducing rate of mechanical complications due to anatomical variances such as: pneumothorax or arterial puncture.
- Improving first cannulation success and decreasing needle passes
- Practice palpating external landmarks to identify vessel location
- Practice identifying unsuccessful vessel access by fluid feedback representing arterial puncture
The PacerMan System offers a groundbreaking opportunity to take your transvenous pacing training to a whole new level. With PacerMan, learners can finally practice the whole, emergent procedure in a safe, simulated setting. PacerMan is the first and only high-fidelity simulator for immersive transvenous pacing training—from needle insertion to electrical capture using all the clinical equipment. With PacerMan, clinicians can practice the entire procedure—including identifying intrinsic bradycardias, assessing intracardiac waveforms and manipulating output and rate with a pacing generator.
Simulab’s patented SimuSensor technology powers PacerMan, replicating a true clinical workflow by allowing the learner to use their own pacing generator to trigger patient responses on a simulated patient monitor. PacerMan can be set on Instructor Mode, with specifically chosen scenario parameters or randomized Student Mode. Both settings include options for multiple outcomes and offer hands-on learning anytime, anywhere.
PacerMan Skill Development
- Learn to manipulate the pacing generator and interact with a transvenous pacing catheter and introducer kit. – Not included
- Obtain electrical capture
- Refine amperage of electrical output and pulse rate in real time.
- Improve procedural performance through instructor led pre-defined competencies or self-directed practice
- Practice medical decision making based on outcome options
- Train using blind and ECG guided techniques
- Increase team engagement with multi-disciplinary scenario based learning.
- Instructor can choose from a series of scenarios by defining successful capture, thresholds and placement outcomes.
SonoMan is an affordable diagnostic ultrasound training platform designed for physicians who need to become proficient in the use of trauma, emergency or bedside ultrasound in evaluating critically ill patients. SonoMan is an affordable diagnostic ultrasound training platform designed for physicians to become proficient in the use of trauma, emergency/bedside ultrasound in evaluating critically ill patients. The system offers the most extensive image and video pathology library with six software modules, each providing up to seven clinical cases presenting with normal or abnormal findings. This allows instructors to mimic a variety of pathologies in emergent or critical care settings.
The System includes a body form embedded with 258 image locations, a simulated ultrasound probe and up to six software modules. Instructors can pre-program pathologies allowing users to assess, locate, and then diagnose the patient while visualizing the complete thoracic and abdominal region. As the simulated probe scans the body form, real patient ultrasound images are displayed on the computer monitor. For added realism, videos have been embedded in target zones that coincide with each image.
- Simulated ultrasound probe plugs into a PC
- Software that allows any PC to simulate an ultrasound machine (PC/Laptop not included – Windows based only)
- Body form with embedded targets for each of the viewing windows based on the computer module selected
- Transverse and longitudinal viewing options
- All images and videos are of actual patients – both normal and abnormal
- Each module includes an instructor (enable visual instruction with mentor mode to discuss pathology and diagnoses) and student mode (randomly selects patient)
- Mentor mode allows users to activate the onscreen labels that identify the anatomy and pathology of any of the digital images
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Dr. Abigail Baily in Las Vegas, Nevada with their newborn daughter and two crazy dachshunds.