8th SimGHOSTS U.S. & Australia ‘Healthcare Simulation Technology Conferences’ Provide Specialized Operator Hands-On Training & Networking
The World’s first and only non-profit organization dedicated to healthcare professionals utilizing Simulation technologies SimGHOSTS, aka The Gathering of Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialists, has launched early-bird registration for their 8th annual SimGHOSTS USA event and 4th annual Australia event this summer in Memphis, Tennessee and Queensland’s Sunshine Coast respectively! Focused specifically on clinical and technical staff who operate medical simulation technologies, SimGHOSTS is the only event organized solely by Simulation Operators for Simulation Operators — providing a unique and specific conversation highly relevant to those within the emerging profession. Secure early-bird pricing now before tickets sell out — they always do!
Key Dates & Locations:
In collaboration with: Simulation Australasia,
Australian Society for Simulation in Healthcare (ASSH),
Serious Games & Showcase Australasia
Host: University of the Sunshine Coast
Sippy Downs, Queensland
Pre-Symposium: 27th June, 2018
Symposium: 28th-29th June, 2018
University of Tennessee Health Science Center
Center for Healthcare Improvement and Patient Simulation
Pre-Symposium: July 31st, 2018
Symposium: August 1st-3rd, 2018
Since 2011, SimGHOSTS has provided thousands of professionals with hands-on workshops from leading experts, peer-networking activities to connect with their specialized community, and direct connections to leading vendors to focus on technical operations questions. Secure the best Healthcare Simulation technology training from SimGHOSTS who have provided almost 20 international meetings with leading Simulation programs like places like the Mohammed bin Rashid Medical Center Dubai, Cedars-Sinai Women’s Guild Simulation Center Los Angeles, GAPS Simulation Center London, Clinical Skills Development Service Brisbane, S3 SingHealth Singapore, Jump Simulation Trading Center Peoria, and the American College of CHEST Physicians near Chicago — to name just a few!
“Anyone who works in healthcare simulation should attend SimGHOSTS!” Luther Raechal BS CHSOS, Director of Sim Ops at
University of the Incarnate Word, School of Medicine
With prominent speakers, a brand new simulation center, largest online community ever, expanded leadership, multiple new affiliations, and a rapidly advancing profession, SimGHOSTS 2018 events look to be the best meetings yet! Watch their 2018 Trailer below to see the why Simulation Champions are calling SimGHOSTS “the only real Sim Tech meeting”.
About the 8th Annual USA Event
Join SimGHOSTS July 31st – August 3rd at the brand new University of Tennessee Health Science Center’s “Center for Healthcare Improvement and Patient Simulation” (CHIPS) in Rocking Memphis for the 8th annual SimGHOSTS event. With their largest estimated attendance ever of over 200 Simulation Champions, you will be able to directly connect to leading international experts, experienced peers, and leading vendors. The USA event focuses specifically on providing the world’s best hands-on simulation technology training opportunities.
Who is the 8th annual SimGHOSTS USA? The Center for Healthcare Improvement and Patient Simulation (CHIPS) is a world-class, 45,000-square-foot, standalone simulation facility located at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC) in Memphis. CHIPS is dedicated to improving healthcare training and positively affecting patient safety. Students from the six colleges at UTHSC – Dentistry, Graduate Health Sciences, Health Professions, Medicine, Nursing, and Pharmacy – participate in activities at CHIPS. CHIPS is also a resource to UTHSC residency programs and UTHSC’s local clinical partners.
About the 4th Annual Australia Event
SimGHOSTS are returning for their fourth event in Australia, to be held at University of the Sunshine Coast, Sippy Downs, Queensland. As a special event for 2018, SimGHOSTS are collaborating with Simulation Australasia, the Australian Society for Simulation in Healthcare (ASSH), and the 7th Annual Serious Games Showcase & Challenge to hold SG18AUS – a combined conference that is expected to attract an audience of program directors, clinicians, educators, academics, technology/operations specialists, and game developers. The program highlights the use of technology and virtual environments in simulation programs and aims to bring the spectrum of simulation professionals together to improve learner and patient outcomes. Gold Sponsored by EMS SimulationIQ!
Simulation Australasia (SimAust) is delighted to join the 7th annual Serious Games Showcase & Challenge Australasia (SGSCA) and be a partner in SimGHOSTS 2018. The SimAust divisions – Australian Society of Simulation in Healthcare (ASSH), Professional Development Committee (PD) and Human Dimensions in Simulation (HDS) are collaborating with SimGHOSts to infuse research and workshops designed to engage our members. Serious Games are games that are about more than just entertainment – they impart knowledge while entertaining. Serious Games highlight issues, improve education, and help to explain or solve complex problems. Serious Games can make complex topics more easily understood and engaging. The challenge is a fantastic opportunity for national and international exposure among the simulation and IT communities and is open to serious gaming application of all technology is including: PC, Mobile, Console, VR, AR and Wearable tech.
The University of the Sunshine Coast was the host of SimGHOSTS’ inaugural Australian event in 2014 and we are delighted to return to their campus for our 2018 event. USC’s innovative physical spaces cater for shifts in student mobility, changes in teaching practice, and the adoption of new and emerging technological tools. SG18AUS will be based in the new $37m Engineering Learning Hub which boasts one of only four 3D CAVE2 visualization studios in the world. The campus also features state of the art simulated nursing and paramedicine labs, specialized computer, science, manufacturing and design labs, and a range of interactive digital learning spaces.
Yet again Level 3 Healthcare, U.S. distributors of the SIMStation system are leading the way for Vendor Support of the SimGHOSTS 2018 USA event with our opening Keynote by their Director of Simulation, David Escobar EMT-I, CHSOS who will be presenting on “More than Just a Sim Tech — An Open Opportunity”. Level 3 Healthcare has also sponsored the Opening Reception — baseball tickets for everyone with the Memphis Redbirds! Batter’s up!
- Laerdal Medical Returns as a Gold Sponsor with sponsorship of a Plenary Session by former SimGHOSTS host Chad Jackson MS, RRT, FCCP Vice President of Innovation and Development at the American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST) who will be presenting on “Using xAPI to Collect Learning Data from Simulations”.
- CAE Healthcare joins us at the Gold level again this year supporting a talk by CHIPS Executive Director Dr. Chad Epps (Past-President SSH) on “Medical Students Vs. Virtual Reality” where we will gain insights into the benefits of the latest VR/AR technologies for Medical Students.
- EMS SimulationIQ continues to support SimGHOSTS at the Gold level sponsoring the world famous “Nerdy Nurse” Brittney Wilson BSN, RN who will be sharing the secrets to the “Healthcare Simulation Professional’s Guide to Social Media” so that we can all help our programs share more about our unique success stories! EMS is also a Gold Sponsor for the Australia event!
- Silver Sponsors Ventriloscope and Simulaids will be presenting courses this year, joining Bronze Sponsors Cardionics, Pocket Nurse, Interactive Solutions, KBPort, Virtamed, B-Line Medical, Otosim, CLR, and more in the exhibit hall!
SimGHOSTS 2018 Meeting Objectives are to:
- Meet with other Simulation Champions and share best practices
- Network and build long term industry relationships with peers and vendors
- Discuss and develop professional community needs and standards.
SimGHOSTS Programs Include:
- High-fidelity manikin hardware & software operation, maintenance and repair
- Audiovisual system design and integration, operation, and troubleshooting
- Learning Management System troubleshooting
- IT networking & debugging
- Team leadership and communication techniques
- Moulage, staging and DIY creations.
- Basic medical terminology, physiology, pharmacology
- Healthcare education practices.
- Virtual environments and 3D image rendering
- Selection of courses providing debriefing, research, and facilitation education
Both event agendas are now posted which includes over 100 specialized sessions geared specifically for those operating healthcare simulation technologies including:
- CHSOS Readiness Review Workshop
- Introduction to Moulage with Australia’s leading Experts from TraumaSIM
- Exploring Laerdal Software Applications & SimMan3G and SimMan Essential Fundamentals – Performing Updates
- Networked Audio Visual Systems
- Measuring Competency Based Medical Education – Using Artificial Intelligence to Analyze Curriculum
- Crack the Code: Utilizing Visual Basic to make Medication Labels and More
- Using xAPI to Collect Research Data from Manikins
- AV 101: AV Concvepts for the Non-IT/AV
- “What did they Say” – A Guide to Audio Capture
- Building a Winning TEAM with TeamSTEPS: A Novel Approach to IPE Simulation
- Acquiring Your Artitistic Flow When Designing Simulation Scenarios
- Gamification in Undergraduate Programs
- Training and Employment of Simulation Technology Staff
- And many many more!
Who Should Attend SimGHOSTS?
Anyone involved in the technical operation of a clinical simulation lab, or clinical educators who contribute to the day-to-day operation of simulation spaces. This includes AV and IT department staff members who are responsible for supporting the simulation program. Educators, game developers, academics and clinicians who are interested in learning more about how to use different simulation modalities to achieve learner outcomes and how to collect data on simulation activities. Anyone evaluating clinical simulation technology for purchasing decisions should strongly consider attending as many major industry vendors exhibit and/or demonstrate their range at SimGHOSTS events.
The SimGHOSTS community can’t wait to rock out with you in Memphis and hit the Sunshine Coast Beaches with you this Summer!
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and acting Advisor to the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background also includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.