Laerdal’s New SimBaby Simulator Ideal for Pediatric Critical Care
Did you know that 14% of doses are converted incorrectly and as many as 1 in 6 medication errors take place in pediatrics? As we all know such errors can have huge consequences for young infants, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends including weight calculations, emotional and biological development, and patient family involvement training for providers — all of which are a perfect fit for simulation. The new SimBaby from Laerdal can help ensure learners acquire the skills needed to treat pediatric patients focusing on the initial assessment, diagnosis, and intervention. The New SimBaby Simulator was unveiled at IMSH 2018 and provides a vast number of ways to improve critical care for pediatric patients trough simulation.
Laerdal’s SimBaby Simulator offers: Life-like physiology, anatomically accurate airway, quality CPR feedback, vascular access, neurological functionality and tetherless design. Children can have different physiological responses to trauma compared to adults. Learning how to effectively recognize and respond to respiratory emergencies, shock, and cardiopulmonary arrest can improve the healthcare provider’s ability to respond more confidently in an emergency situation, which you can do with SimBaby through assessing capillary refill time, testing pupillary light reflex, and anatomically accurate airway.
Laerdal has improved SimBaby so healthcare providers can practice in a safe and realistic team-centered environment preparing them to make critical decisions. Whether it be emergency, intensive care, or point-of-care training such as home care, learning to communicate effectively and respond as a team with established confidence and competence can help improve patient outcomes. For effective monitoring and improvement of CPR performance, QCPR Technology has been incorporated into SimBaby. Realistic anatomy ensures a learner performs correct head tilt, chin lift and experiences appropriate chest resistance and chest rise.
Key SimBaby Metrics Measured Include:
- Correct compression depth
- Appropriate compression rate
- Full release
- Enough hands-on time
- Adequate ventilation
Operation and Debriefing Options
- Scenarios: Scenarios based on the American Heart Association’s Pediatric Advanced Life Support curriculum help learners prepare for those critical situations mirroring real-life critical events before ever having to respond to an actual emergency. Laerdal also offers help to develop scenarios tailored to your specific needs. Together with your clinical subject matter experts, our educational experts can develop scenarios that support standardized delivery for improved learning outcomes and clinical impact. Laerdal will also support you in implementing these scenarios in your institution.
- SimPad PLUS: With its intuitive touchscreen interface, mobile design, easy-to-operate scenarios and integrated data log, SimPad PLUS will help you achieve learning objectives with greater ease. Find out about SimPad PLUS
- LLEAP Instructor PC: This PC software unifies the control of all PC operated Laerdal simulators and helps you to conduct simulation training and develop new scenarios to meet your learning objectives with greater ease. Learn about LLEAP and the PC options.
- Integrated Debriefing: Capture, share and debrief training sessions using synchronised audio, video, and simulation information from one of Laerdal’s debriefing options.
- Enhanced defibrillation training: Pairing with ShockLink enables the use of a compatible live defibrillator with training pads.
- Use your own clinical monitor: Bridge the gap between SimBaby and your own clinical patient monitor with VitalsBridge.