New Job Listing: Simulation Lab Technician for Austin’s University of St. Augustine
The University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences (USAHS), a leading graduate institution that emphasizes health and rehabilitative sciences education through innovative classroom education seeks a Simulation Lab Technician for Austin’s new sim center! The USAHS ICP Technician (ICPT) serves as a technical expert who is able to set up, operate, maintain, troubleshoot, and in some cases repair simulation equipment, hospital-type equipment used in clinical activities, and AV/IT equipment used in simulation activities.
The ICPT also instructs and assists simulation faculty and learners in the use of technical equipment used in simulation. The ICPT performs operational activities such as staff and maintenance scheduling, lab utilization scheduling, and inventory/purchasing functions. The ICPT is familiar with the various modalities of simulation education and has a good grasp of simulation educational principles, and is therefore able to assist in the development, setup, delivery, and takedown of simulation education sessions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Operate and maintain simulation equipment, task trainers, computerized simulators, and virtual reality procedural trainers with the ability to follow scenarios, and make appropriate adjustments to technology systems.
- Operate and maintain simulation-related audio-video recording systems.
- Makes recommendations for the purchase of equipment, supplies, and materials required for simulation-based sessions.
- Create troubleshooting documents, simulator checklists, and preventative maintenance plans for simulation equipment.
- Set up and operate equipment/AV system in rooms including equipment, supplies, moulage, etc. for simulation activities.
- Supports learners to maintain a safe learning environment.
- May be involved with the educational aspects of scenarios including debriefing/feedback.
- Maintains awareness of scheduling issues in relation to availability of physical and technical resources.
- Possess a high degree of professionalism with high-level interpersonal skills for collaboration with clinicians and staff at all levels.
Lance Baily, BA, EMT-B, is the Founder & CEO of HealthySimulation.com, which he started while serving as the Director of the Nevada System of Higher Education’s Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas back in 2010. Lance is also the Founder and current Chairman of the Board of SimGHOSTS.org, the world’s only non-profit organization dedicated to supporting professionals operating healthcare simulation technologies. His new co-edited Book: “Comprehensive Healthcare Simulation: Operations, Technology, and Innovative Practice” is available now. Lance’s background includes serving as a Simulation Technology Specialist for the LA Community College District, EMS fire fighting, Hollywood movie production, rescue diving, and global travel. He lives with his wife Abigail in Las Vegas, Nevada.