Upcoming September ‘TeamSTEPPS Trainer Essentials Plus’ Courses by Dr. Timothy Clapper at PA Global Institute for Sim Training
Word today is about an upcoming September 4th early-bird deadline to participate in Dr. Timothy Clapper’s Upcoming September/October TeamSTEPPS Trainer Essentials Plus courses. Dr. Clapper was the SimGHOSTS 2013 USA keynote speaker where he spoke on the ability for TeamSTEPPS to be utilized not only for healthcare to healthcare discussions, but also for healthcare to simulation staff conversations. It’s a communication tool set that enhances performance and patient safety.
Read our other simulation TeamSTEPPS articles by with Dr. Timothy Clapper:
- Timothy Clapper PhD Articles on TeamSTEPPS Communication Training Opportunities for Medical Simulation Programs
- TeamSTEPPS Online Master Trainer CE Course Now Available for FREE!
- Watch the SimGHOSTS 2013 Dr. Timothy Clapper Keynote Address, Sponsored by Laerdal
Poor communication and teamwork can lead to under-performing clinical teams and errors that disrupt even the best patient safety initiatives. TeamSTEPPS can make a difference for organizations, but only if the organizations and clinicians understand, adopt, and apply the four competencies (Clapper & Ng, 2012).
Course Overview: This course trains teams in the essential skills needed to function as team members and leaders. This is the only master training course that includes the use of simulation and assists the learner with developing an implementation plan.
Course: “TeamSTEPPS Trainer Essentials Plus”
Course Dates: Sep. 21-23, 2015 or Sep. 30-Oct 2, 2015
Course Provided By: Global Institute for Simulation Training
Location: Simulation Training Center at Education Management Solutions, Exton, PA
Instructor: Timothy Clapper, PhD
Timothy Clapper, PhD
Dr. Clapper is one of four American College of Surgeons Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) Educators in the world. As a TeamSTEPPS® Master Trainer, he has improved the teamwork skills and clinical practice of inter-professional teams at numerous healthcare facilities in the US and abroad. Using TeamSTEPPS® and his Saturation in Training theory (Clapper & Ng, 2012), he has improved the culture and practice of entire departments and reduced clinical errors.
- Use TeamSTEPPS communication tools to improve team communication and increase patient safety
- Use effective patient handoff techniques to enhance information exchange during transitions in care
- Identify barriers to teamwork and use strategies to overcome them
- Participants will receive an implementation guide – it is a core value to the course. They will not have to develop it. They will receive the implementation guide, and the course content will include training on how to tailor the plan for their own institute, including training cross-departmental teams.
- Participate in simulation to reinforce learning
Here’s what participants say:
“I had previously taken a TeamSTEPPS®workshop, but came back feeling like I had tools, but could not get “buy in” to use them. I was also unsure of how to fit it into our program. After attending this educational program, I am armed with both education, the means to carry it out, AND a plan! The plan will help us to move the process forward”
“I enjoyed the combination of information along with how to use it and implement it; the interaction among the group as led by [Dr. Clapper] and the various modes of education (lecture, video, sim) fully engaged me and kept my attention.”
Seating is limited to a maximum of 20 participants for each workshop.
Early registration rate is available until September 4.
Institutions are encouraged to send a team of three (physicians/nurses) from each department to facilitate effective implementation.