Top 10 Medical Simulation Articles of 2014!
From our list of Top 50 Most Read Medical Simulation Articles of 2014 comes the Top 10 most shared and read posts! Key research, critical guides, tutorial videos, operational templates and more — the best healthcare simulation articles of 2014 are right here:
10) The National Council of State Boards of Nursing Releases Results of National Simulation Study – This three year study found that up to 50 percent simulation was effectively substituted for traditional clinical experience in all core courses across the prelicensure nursing curriculum, and did not affect NCLEX pass rates! Click to read the full study.
9) Eight Video Sessions Covering Sim Lab Management ‘HealthySimAdmin’ Now Free for HealthySimulation.com Subscribers – Subscribers to the free HealthySim newsletter can now get access to the fifteen hours of HD recorded content from HealthySimAdmin, a 2-day recorded event which brought administrators from a dynamic range of programs together to discuss the “how to” of medical simulation administration.
8) Why Do Healthcare Simulation Programs Hire Sim Techs Without Technical Backgrounds? Avoid this #1 Simulation Hiring Mistake! – Recently I received an email from a HealthySim reader who wished to remain anonymous regarding a concern that medical simulation programs seem to lean towards hiring Sim Techs for clinical experience rather than technical experience. This article response highlights a major community misunderstanding which a lot of my efforts have been geared towards correcting. to this article from the community, so I would highly recommend catching up with this conversation – There has been a huge number of responses in support of this argument so read how to help your program avoid future hiring mistakes!
7) Example of Simulation Lab Faculty, Staff and Learner Roles & Responsibilities Breakdown – Download these example guidelines which were created in-order to maximize the results of simulated learning experiences, which we know require the coordination of many ‘moving parts’.
6) Standard Operating Procedure Guides for Simulation Technician Positions – Here are two SOPs, or Standard Operating Procedure, manuals that we built at the Clinical Simulation Center of Las Vegas in case we ever needed to train someone new to those positions. I tasked the staff with creating and annually updating their job descriptions AND these SOPs — so that if the role switched to another individual they would have a head-start on the responsibilities, and a guide on how to complete them!
5) Free ECG Simulator Game – James Cypert forwarded along a great 6-second ECG Simulator game where healthcare learners can practice identifying one of 27 most common rhythms. SkillStat provides the web version free to play online now!
4) SimGHOSTS Holds 4th Annual Simulation Technology Hands-On Training Event to 220 Participants – A four day event, the 4th annual Gathering of Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialists was the second meeting the non-profit 501(c)3 organization put on this year following its first-ever Australia event which took place a month ago at the University of the Sunshine Coast. Read the highlights here and learn more about their 2015 training events around the world!
3) Konsiderate “Yelp Like” Medical Simulation Product Review Website Partners with Leading Industry Vendors – Learn why top vendors want to hear your simulation product and service feedback through Konsiderate’s validated peer review website. Get access to hundreds of medical simulation product reviews and share your own on this new website which launched in January of 2014.
2) The Ultimate Job Guide to Healthcare Simulation Technology Specialists – Summary of TOP articles covering the topic of Sim Tech position descriptions, responsibilities, hiring, career development, administration, training and more.
1) Free Medical Simulation Scenarios – I have previously shared several articles on where to get free clinical simulation scenarios, which I link in this article as well as update you with even more free online resources for clinical simulation scenarios.
Looking for even more great healthcare simulation content? Check out:
HealthySim’s Top 10 Most-Read Medical Simulation Articles Of All Time! – Here is a list of the most read articles from the website since it began in 2010. All the best is here from free nursing simulation scenario databases to moulage recipes, best of the year recaps, sim tech hiring practices, simulation job listings as well as Simulab, Laerdal, and CAE Healthcare videos! Must read and must share article.